How to OUTCOMPETE cyano?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After Dinos I have cyano.

What can help me outcompete cyano, Dino’s, AND algae? Not looking for eradication, just want it in smaller amounts. Tank running for 6 months.

Will microbacter7 help, or make things worse?
Will vibrant help, or make things worse?

Nitrates 7ppm
Phosphates 0.07ppm

@Randy Holmes-Farley @taricha @Dan_P @Scott B. #reefsqad

Ps. I dosed vodka last week. I had cyano before the dose. But now it’s much worse.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What can help me outcompete cyano, Dino’s, AND algae? Not looking for eradication, just want it in smaller amounts. Tank running for 6 months.

Nitrates 7ppm
Phosphates 0.07ppm

Ps. I dosed vodka last week. I had cyano before the dose. But now it’s much worse.
Try @vetteguy53081. He has a recipe that he recommends.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Nitrates 7ppm
Phosphates 0.07ppm

Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate”

What does protein skimming have to do with this?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I want to add to Vetteguy's post... Hydrogen peroxide is lethal to shrimp. If you have them in your tank, I would advise against peroxide treatment as a broadcast treatment. Remove affected rocks and treat the infection directly, then reintroduce to the DT.

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nitrates 7ppm
Phosphates 0.07ppm

I think that heterotrophic denitrifying bacteria may be able to compete with cyano if there are enough of certain B vitamins in the water(I think that vitamins are produced in the hindgut of at least some saltwater fish). I think that dosing thiamine, biotin, vitamin B12, etc, may be able to help denitrifying bacteria outcompete cyano. Aquaforest Vitality has B vitamins in it(I don't know if it has enough B vitamins in it, but I'm using it right now).

Attachments

• Parin_Izadi_2017_Masters-1.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was fighting a good amount of cyano the past 1-2 months. About two weeks ago I started dosing phytoplankton daily and wow things have improved 10x. My cyano is significantly reduced, I'd say about 80% gone. This is completely anecdotal. I was at 5-10ppm nitrates and 0 phosphates for a while too, phyto fixed that as well. 10ppm nitrates and .1 phosphates now.

Blake423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was fighting a good amount of cyano the past 1-2 months. About two weeks ago I started dosing phytoplankton daily and wow things have improved 10x. My cyano is significantly reduced, I'd say about 80% gone. This is completely anecdotal. I was at 5-10ppm nitrates and 0 phosphates for a while too, phyto fixed that as well. 10ppm nitrates and .1 phosphates now.
what phytoplankton do you does?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back