How to package corals with no air and minimal water

Brockly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, sorry if this is well covered here I searched and could really find what i was searching for. I curious on shipping coral with no air in minimal water. I’ve seen both writers and video of people shipping coral plugs in specimen cups upside down stuck in block of styrofoam. I like this method for sure.

But I have received a few shipments that came in thick small bag tubes that had no air and appeared to be sealed with a heat cutter. Reminded me of a food bag processor but full of water. It was amazing. Who knows how this is accomplished? What tools are needed. Who can write up the process or better yet make a video for us thick heads thst learn visually. Thanks

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, sorry if this is well covered here I searched and could really find what i was searching for. I curious on shipping coral with no air in minimal water. I’ve seen both writers and video of people shipping coral plugs in specimen cups upside down stuck in block of styrofoam. I like this method for sure.

But I have received a few shipments that came in thick small bag tubes that had no air and appeared to be sealed with a heat cutter. Reminded me of a food bag processor but full of water. It was amazing. Who knows how this is accomplished? What tools are needed. Who can write up the process or better yet make a video for us thick heads thst learn visually. Thanks

I'm not sure how its done, but looking at this logically you could fill up a bag of water with a coral and use one of those hand balloon pumps to suck the air out. I highly doubt they use a vacuum machine. Commercial grade units cost thousands of dollars and they would destroy themselves with the salt that would get inside them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=han...rN7fAhXrxYMKHTrLCkEQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=969

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to suck up any water pulled out of the container which could interfere with the heat sealing of the bag...

OP
OP
Brockly

Brockly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the method I was thinking, but that was a cool method for sure. Thanks for sharing.

I have a feeling the method I am thinking they use the hot imulsion tool and just press on a back of water. I just see this making a huge mess. Hopefully something can comment on that method too

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brockly

Brockly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. That is close to what I was thinking you did. Is the water spill pretty minimal? Do you mind sharing what mil bag you use? Thicker to only need 1 or you double bag? Just trying to figure out a method I’ve never shipped before but the thought interests me. I live in knowwheres college MT and don’t have a market for the Zoas I brought in for personal use.

“I swear officer all this is just for me, it’s my personal stash” as I spill a bunch of baggies on the floor. The coral trade is like a drug trade, as least to the in informed haha

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take you bag. Smaller is better. Add your water and frag and as your twisting the bag closed push down on where your twisting as it will push the water out of the top. Use a band that you loop into itself like a lasso not a traditional way you use a band. Grab one end and pull it through the loop of the other one and as your squeezing the bag loop the band tight so you have a pressurized bag with no air and being a smaller bag the water will insulate the plugs from being damaged

EDIT: try and try and try. Smaller bags are easier to accomplish this task. I call it the pillow method

2EA4AE8A-BA45-40E7-A900-C172443F0AB5.jpeg

20D42DD8-EC2D-4C8E-AF8B-B6FF84D15396.jpeg

1C40EA0C-01C9-487D-B074-C8585574510C.jpeg

Last edited:

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why you don't want any air in the bags?

I know you didn't ask for anyone's opinion but I just have to say I hate when the bags come with no air, because floating them to temperature acclimate isn't possible. I hate having to secure each bag with a bungee and chip clips.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why you don't want any air in the bags?

I know you didn't ask for anyone's opinion but I just have to say I hate when the bags come with no air, because floating them to temperature acclimate isn't possible. I hate having to secure each bag with a bungee and chip clips.

I have no experience with this myself other than receiving corals with no air. I believe not having air reduces any sloshing the water does in shipping and thereby reducing damage to the frag. Also water is a much better insulator and wont expand in an low pressure environment like an airplane.

Could be off but just my assumptions.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are using Kordon Breather Bags. They are permeable to air but not water, so they are supposed to be topped off. They can also be sealed to custom sizes. If the bags you received were separated by a layer of paper or something instead of packed touching each other, you most likely have breather bags as they shouldn’t touch. It stops the oxygen exchange.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back