How to paint tank background?

Jjd531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just set up a 65g reef with an overflow, and I wanted to paint the back of it black instead of putting a background on it. What types of paints do you use for that like on the glass?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use many different types of paints, or even window films. I’ve used epoxy paint on the back, but others will work too. Not sure if I know the “best paint” but the epoxy has held up well for years. Just make sure you’re painting the outside of the tank, not the inside (may sound obvious but just want to be clear).

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I taped black poster board to mine. That way I can change it if I need to. No scraping paint off. Been there since last year and still going. Never gets wet.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost always use kyrlon fushio spray paint. If you can't get the tank outside and want to do it inside a lower voc paint and brush / roller will also work.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rolled on rustoleum oil based paint on mine looks good and for some reason when its super cold you can peel it off like plastidip paint.... not sure if it was because of the layers that I put on or something else that I got lucky with....

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glass isn't very porous or textured so what you use really doesn't matter as long as you paint the outside and you don't choose a material that's caustic to your environment (not that paint is healthy for eating). Either way you won't be stuck with it if you choose to do something else down the road. It can all be removed with some elbow grease, peeling, razor blades etc. Some choices will be a bit more durable than others based on how salt water interacts with that particular material. Application choices are based on if you have your tank in place already inside (makes spraying far less appealing). Roll on would require the least amount of prep work (taping areas immediately adjacent to the surface you are painting) and is more conducive to doing it indoors. Spray is definitely a must for outside and requires far more masking due to over spray.

gmon57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this (Blackout window film):
First tank i've ever tried it on and it turned out great. Nice thing is its removable and you can use a glass cleaning magnet on it without issue.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back