How to perform a surgery on a fish?

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB's are particularly susceptible to lympho and both of the ones we've had had it from the LFS. Just do what @Smo did, essentially think of lympho as a cold; good nutrition and good water conditions will help. It may take a few months but if they eat well and your water quality is good then they will recover just fine. In my opinion, you are opening a whole new bucket of potential issues with cutting the part off the fish.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB's are particularly susceptible to lympho and both of the ones we've had had it from the LFS. Just do what @Smo did, essentially think of lympho as a cold; good nutrition and good water conditions will help. It may take a few months but if they eat well and your water quality is good then they will recover just fine. In my opinion, you are opening a whole new bucket of potential issues with cutting the part off the fish.
Thank you.. will do that.. its eaten all the aiptasias though, tomorrow im getting clam for it. Also trying to feed it masstick

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.. will do that.. its eaten all the aiptasias though, tomorrow im getting clam for it. Also trying to feed it masstick

I have had worms (Black and White) clear up lympho’s in butterfly fish rather speedy. But I agree with the above, live and fresh foods mixed with vitiman enriched meaty frozen foods keeps them at bay and out of sight.

-Zack

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had worms (Black and White) clear up lympho’s in butterfly fish rather speedy. But I agree with the above, live and fresh foods mixed with vitiman enriched meaty frozen foods keeps them at bay and out of sight.

-Zack
I have reefplus. Which black and white worms??

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the lymph is bad, you can easily place the fish on a wet towel outside of the tank and pick the clumps off with your finger nail. So long as you're quick about it, you shouldn't have too many issues doing so. Keep in mind that this is only a cosmetic fix and the fish will almost certainly still have lymph. Speaking from my anecdotal experience, fish generally recover faster from lymph after having said procedure done. You'll definitely still want to keep pristine water conditions and feed optimal foods as others have suggested.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is eating and not exhibiting other issues I'd stay away from it. Maybe as the absolute last resort makes sense. Removal attempt can result in tissue damage, bacterial infections, even internal organ damage (depending on the location and other factors). As stated it should recover on its own with proper diet and good stable water. Good luck and hope it pulls through! I've had good luck with masstick and finicky eaters. Maybe try Paul B's white worms if you can get some seems to work well.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, highly recommend you not perform surgery on a fish for lympho.

It should clear up in time.

In addition, the one time I did, I scraped away cauliflower lympho growths off the mouth of a queen angel because it was unable to eat (it grew over her mouth). It cleared up a month later, gradually. It’s only life threatening if it grows over the gills (to the point it hinders breathing) or if it seals the month (so it cannot eat).

I kept her in a net and placed a small children’s book (the glossy part not the pages) over her, and fit her in to a shallow Tupperware. I scraped gently with the razor blade, using the book to pin her down.

Don’t tell my daughter I used her book.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In addition, the one time I did, I scraped away cauliflower lympho growths off the mouth of a queen angel because it was unable to eat (it grew over her mouth). It cleared up a month later, gradually. It’s only life threatening if it grows over the gills (to the point it hinders breathing) or if it seals the month (so it cannot eat).

I kept her in a net and placed a small children’s book (the glossy part not the pages) over her, and fit her in to a shallow Tupperware. I scraped gently with the razor blade, using the book to pin her down.

Thanks for the reply, and lol, I won't tell.. ;)

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wow this is interesting. Didnt the fish flutter or move? My hands would shake, thats a courageous move to save the fish.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow this is interesting. Didnt the fish flutter or move? My hands would shake, thats a courageous move to save the fish.
Oh yes she did. It was a risk for sure, let it fight me for a while first to wear her out!

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One lympho is gone.. :) 2 more on the fin, and one on the gill left. However its not eating clams, but looks fat(a bit unsure). Maybe it eats at night.. keeps grazing the rocks, im out of feather dusters and aiptasia..

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you find frozen brine shrimp or mysis?
I feed scallops, finely chopped. scallops are easy to chop while frozen. just look after your fingers [emoji28]

cheers

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also try making a feeding tube like the one we made below, it helps imitate their natural feeding behavior and the holes are small enough only the CBB can get it's beak in to eat the frozen food.
IMG_3188.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back