how to plug overflow for cleaning new (used) tank

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I just got a new (used) tank, the i the overflow is in desperate need of a 24 hour vinegar bath, and also the glass old water line seems to not be coming off scrapper and scrubbing, so i would really like to fill up the tank right to the very top and let it all soak, right now the tank is just on a piece of plywood on a concrete floor....

any ideas how i can plug the glass holes temporarily? flex seal tape maybe? i just dont know if that would be a problem when pulling it off.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have the chance, I'd suggest pulling the GlassHoles overflow off. When I did a tank change after about 12-14 years of running a GlassHoles, here's what the inside of the elbow looked like:

1632424066689.png

I was shocked it was still allowing water to flow. Here's all the gunk I pulled out of both elbows:

1632424189782.png

(FYI, 5 gallon bucket)

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have the chance, I'd suggest pulling the GlassHoles overflow off. When I did a tank change after about 12-14 years of running a GlassHoles, here's what the inside of the elbow looked like:

1632424066689.png

I was shocked it was still allowing water to flow. Here's all the gunk I pulled out of both elbows:

1632424189782.png

(FYI, 5 gallon bucket)
It is off already thanks, I’m gonna soak those for a couple days too. Any idea how to plug the glass?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could but the bulkhead back in with the elbow pointing up. But better yet, the way I clean tanks, instead of using dilute vinegar, is that I take a rag and soak in vinegar and lay over the areas of the tank that need to be clean. Every so often add more vinegar to keep the rag wet.

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
44 hours and still won’t come off. Maybe some ‘goo gone’? And just be careful to only treat the water line area and clean out when done ?

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it be. U still see it , Bc it’s above my current water line. I’m gonna try to get some acrylic and put it in the overflow teeth to make water level higher so u can’t see.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back