How to prepare dry rock and sand for a new tank?

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just purchased 20lbs of Marcorock and 20 lbs of Caribsea Aragonite Special Grade sand. Both are dry. I plan to cycle with Dr. Tim's. Is there anything I need to do other than rinse the dust off of the rocks and sand before adding them to my tank? Should they sit in RO/DI or some other treatment before putting them in the tank? Do I need to worry about them leaching different elements into the water at all? Thanks!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 5 gallon bucket of RODI water. Swish each rock in the water to knock off all the dust and loose pieces. Drip dry the rock into the bucket. Insert rock into tank.
Same thing for the sand. Rinse it several times in RODI water.

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 5 gallon bucket of RODI water. Swish each rock in the water to knock off all the dust and loose pieces. Drip dry the rock into the bucket. Insert rock into tank.
Same thing for the sand. Rinse it several times in RODI water.
Got it. Will get some RODI water from the LFS. Thanks!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Will get some RODI water from the LFS. Thanks!
While you're at it, buy yourself a good RODI filter system so you can make it yourself. You'll more than pay for it buying water from the LFS. Plus, you'll know that the filters are clean and you're getting good water.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you're at it, buy yourself a good RODI filter system so you can make it yourself. You'll more than pay for it buying water from the LFS. Plus, you'll know that the filters are clean and you're getting good water.
this is one of the best investments for sure. It sucks having so much equipment to pay for in the beginning but an RODI unit makes life so much easier, specially for bigger tanks.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for good RO/DI units? And is this feasible in an apartment setting?

I’m new at this and I’ve researched a lot and I love this one I bought. Some Youtuber convinced me after he had it in his college dorm. It’s small, portable and light, and does a good job. I’ve been using it for 8 months now.

The price is in CAD.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the BRS units. They use standard 10" filters. I really like the refillable DI resin canister.

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new at this and I’ve researched a lot and I love this one I bought. Some Youtuber convinced me after he had it in his college dorm. It’s small, portable and light, and does a good job. I’ve been using it for 8 months now.

The price is in CAD.

I use the same setup. Works well. I'm on a well and 0 TDS is achievable. When marine depot got rid of all their stock during the brs transition I bought a ton of the filters at reduced cost, so I'm committed

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going dry for your initial installation, the best thing you can do in my opinion to have the best chance of success is do your best to get a hold of some live rock from somewhere (another reefer, LFS) to add to the mix.

It doesn't have to be live rock from the sea; well established dry rock from a mature tank will do as well. And it doesn't have to be a massive amount either, 10-20% of your aquascape with mature rock will help alot!

drezden88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going dry for your initial installation, the best thing you can do in my opinion to have the best chance of success is do your best to get a hold of some live rock from somewhere (another reefer, LFS) to add to the mix.

It doesn't have to be live rock from the sea; well established dry rock from a mature tank will do as well. And it doesn't have to be a massive amount either, 10-20% of your aquascape with mature rock will help alot!
Why go with sterile dry rock and sand? When you seed with someone else's pests and problems.

Big Mistake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was starting a new tank ... based on my past single experience ...

I would start with distilled water from the grocery store (assuming not looking at more than say 20/30 gallons.)

Tropic Marin Bio-Actif salt.

Then immediately dose with Coralline Algae in a Bottle (ordered direct), copepods and phytoplankton from Algaebarn, and All-For-Reef. Additional magic pixie dust stuff should be fine too. Turn the lights on for the Coralline Algae. The water that comes with the Coralline algae, copepods, and phytoplankton will have all sorts of stuff from the supplier tanks. I might have picked up Red Planaria flatworms ... but that is another story.

Someday I might try this from scratch, but those things seemed to make a big difference in getting my tank going.

Arc Reef is on Amazon for the direct purchase of the Coralline Algae in a Bottle.

Don't worry, it won't be a ...

-Big Mistake

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why go with sterile dry rock and sand? When you seed with someone else's pests and problems.

Most well run mature reef tanks that I have seen do not have unmanageable pests or problems...

The risk is small and well worth getting a head start on building a thriving ecosystem in a new tank.

Back