OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a container of chemi pure elite. Would that be useful to throw in sump while cycling tank with the live rock?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a container of chemi pure elite. Would that be useful to throw in sump while cycling tank with the live rock?
That might harm it more than if helps imo, that removes nitrate/phosphate which is a food source filter feeders need.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges don’t do well if they get removed from water so avoid that. Prime and water changes and adding phytoplankton probably the best you can do.
This 100%. I did not use prime with my KP rock, only water changes. I have feather dusters, sponges, bivalves, urchins, snails, worms, and other things I have yet to identify. Over 60 days since my tank started and I see new things pop up here and there. Best decision I made was to go with live ocean rock from KP.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if/when you get an algae bloom on your glass, resist scraping it. You’ll see hundreds of pods feeding on the algae.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if/when you get an algae bloom on your glass, resist scraping it. You’ll see hundreds of pods feeding on the algae.
That’s good to know, thank you!
This 100%. I did not use prime with my KP rock, only water changes. I have feather dusters, sponges, bivalves, urchins, snails, worms, and other things I have yet to identify. Over 60 days since my tank started and I see new things pop up here and there. Best decision I made was to go with live ocean rock from KP.
Sounds good, thank you. I can not wait to get it in my tank!

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JosephM How did your live rock turn out? Any pictures you can share?
This is from the day I got it - Jan 14th
6CAB6E85-982D-4D59-8547-38C9B174C579.jpeg
Cycled within a week
Jan 25th -
177EDF9A-AA3C-4343-A60A-7145DEA9E869.jpeg

Feb 6th
99013C43-9CBA-48BE-A8DF-1FCCEF99360E.jpeg

Feb 19th
55B3B017-A638-4D32-9DFB-8ECF206B99A4.jpeg

Overall I’d say it’s good rock. I had some pests come in from it including cirlonoid isopods, bobbit worm, brittle worms. Others that could’ve came from frags but doubtful as i dip and observe - bubble algae and some unknown worm that was deemed reef safe. I really liked the quick cycle and I feel like it’s maturing quickly. I have a lot of thriving corals (ignore the dead ones on the ground, they were in the mail for 5 days). The live rock in combination with my other export methods can handle extremely high import.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add. I got some sponges that mostly died off. Tunicates that are alive and well. Three bivalves that I don’t know if they’re alive but they’re open so that’s cool lol. Two pistol shrimped (didn’t make it due to my salinity being to high for a few hrs at first) and a pencil urchin still going strong. If I remember more I’ll add, that’s all I can think off the top of my mind. Also I wanna add that many of the pests were minimal and easily eradicated. Forgot the tons of feather dusters I have to. Live phyto has them multiplying like crazy

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add. I got some sponges that mostly died off. Tunicates that are alive and well. Three bivalves that I don’t know if they’re alive but they’re open so that’s cool lol. Two pistol shrimped (didn’t make it due to my salinity being to high for a few hrs at first) and a pencil urchin still going strong. If I remember more I’ll add, that’s all I can think off the top of my mind. Also I wanna add that many of the pests were minimal and easily eradicated. Forgot the tons of feather dusters I have to. Live phyto has them multiplying like crazy
Thanks for sharing - really looks great, especially considering it arrived via damp newspaper (vs in water).

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing - really looks great, especially considering it arrived via damp newspaper (vs in water).
For sure! Definitely got a few months ahead in maturity compared to if I were to start with dry rock. More money and more work with daily water changes but I’d go the same route with my next tank

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Gulf live rock shipped damp in newspaper by air freight for many years. In discussion with diver/owner he explained that this shipping method confined any die off instead of contaminating water and spreading. He will ship in water if you wish, but you pay for the freight. For me in Austin, southwest charges $90 for first 100lbs than $0.45/lb for everything after 100lbs.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back