How to prevent a back-siphon of FW into sump on Tunze ATO. (reservoir sits higher than sump)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you start a siphon into sump with ato pump how would a hole in res stop siphon (ato to sump). ttubing not in sump so no back siphon
Basically my sump sits lower then my ATO reservoir. So if you put a hole in the hose inside the reservoir it creates an air break so that instead of siphoning freshwater into your sump, the air breaks the siphon and stops it from continually draining freshwater into my system.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically my sump sits lower then my ATO reservoir. So if you put a hole in the hose inside the reservoir it creates an air break so that instead of siphoning freshwater into your sump, the air breaks the siphon and stops it from continually draining freshwater into my system.
Old thread... I might do this... with the only risk being that if the black tubing is not taught (excess tubing in the reservoire), it won't break the siphon if the hole is submerged (or the hole will extend outside of the reservoirs). Especially if I have friends maintaining when away...

Might just find a way to raise outlet in the sump.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread... I might do this... with the only risk being that if the black tubing is not taught (excess tubing in the reservoire), it won't break the siphon if the hole is submerged (or the hole will extend outside of the reservoirs). Especially if I have friends maintaining when away...

Might just find a way to raise outlet in the sump.
@Ross Petersen
When I was running this system, I found I could feed the ATO water into my tank direct. My ATO water return line was clamped to the rim of my tank up top just above the water surface. The ATO would pump water into the tank but the sump would still find it’s level and everything worked well.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always fed my ATO into a larger diameter hose as seen below with no siphon issues.

Tunze 3155 is the ATO I am using.

ato.jpeg

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I’ve also done pretty much the same thing will all my tanks since I usually go with a 20 gal ATO reservoir. I buy some rigid clear tubing and place the ATO line inside. I make sure that the top ends up at least inch above the reservoir.
EF647BFF-4D15-4B3D-9956-553A53138E48.jpeg
an

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back