How to proceed with a Used tank.

skynite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater and new to aquariums in general. I'd like to get the opinions of you veterans out there on how I should proceed with my 100 gallon tank setup. I've purchased a 100 gallon tank from a friend who is upgrading to a larger tank. At this point, I'm almost done with the aquascaping of my dry rocks and ready to cycle my rocks for the next two months.

My 100 gallon tank with come fully assembled and ready to go with live sand and a living sump. My question is, if I'm cycling my dry rocks over the next 2 months to make them live, should I start fresh with a clean tank and clean out the sand and sump and start fresh? Or do I leave the sand and sump and whatever bacteria and pest may be in there and just add my rocks to it?

I'm not sure how I should proceed.
thx

OP
OP
skynite

skynite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link Road Warrior. I should have been more clear, right now I'll be cycling some dry rocks in a separate brute container for the next 2 months while I wait for my friend to move the inhabitants of his 100 gallon tank to his new larger tank. Once he completes the transfer, I'll be getting his complete 100 gallon setup with an intact sump, sand and everything already established with bacteria. Livestock, coral, and rocks will not be included. Would it be a good idea to clean out everything and start fresh with the rocks I'm cycling separately? He mentioned that he has some worms under his sand that sometimes show up at night. If I remove the sand, dry it out, and clean out all the pests, would I get rid of all the worms in the tank? Or is it an advantage to have a tank that is established already and not worry about the pests that it may contain?

kenniole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not expert but I would recommend to start fresh.. You don't want to start out the hobby with a bunch of issues (hopefully not) since it can be very discouraging... Dry sand is pretty cheap...

Whenever I buy a used tank and this is just me but I do a full scrub with water/vinegar to make it look all new and shiny =D

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the sand or at least thoroughly rinse. It will be loaded with phosphates and nitrates and who knows what else is in there. Same with the sump. Clean it out completely. A fresh start is a good start.

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also vote for getting rid of the sand. If you had inherited some live rock it would be another story, but used sand is more trouble than the beneficial bacteria in it is worth

OP
OP
skynite

skynite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the consensus is to clean and start fresh.
Would it be ok to wash and then dry out the sand in the sun to kill any bacteria and re-use?
Also, could I re-use the siporax in the sump?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can wash the sand and reuse it. However, the point of washing it is not to kill the bacteria, but rather to remove the organic waste in it, so that it doesn't spoil your water. Wash it very thoroughly and allow it to dry (doesn’t have to be in the sun.)
A reef tank doesn't necessarily need siporax, so i would just dunp it, rather than try to clean it.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep the sand if you are willing to rinse it thoroughly. You want to be able to agitate the sand and still have it rinse clear to make sure that you are starting without partial / full nutrient sink.

OP
OP
skynite

skynite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the worms? Should I be concerned with getting rid of them? Drying out the sand thoroughly should kill everything including I assume the bacteria. Is the bacteria in the sand that important? Or is the bacteria in that rocks that I'm cycling separately in brute containers sufficient enough to cycle my tank with?

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the worms, bristle worms clean up your tank when lights are out, not pretty but they have a job. .... if you over feed they will reproduce if you don't they won't get out of control

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how much sand you are looking to add to the tank, I would recommend replacing it just to be safe. Sand isn't all that expensive and even with a thorough rinse, who knows what's in it. It will build up beneficial bacteria when you are cycling and getting live sand would help with the cycling as well.

OP
OP
skynite

skynite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanted to share my aquascaping. I'll be starting my cycling this weekend.

IMG_20170331_094919.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back