How to Properly Plumb the Shadow® Overflow System

Discussion in 'Synergy Reef Systems' started by mixer911, Feb 21, 2017.

1. mixer911

mixer911 Make them green with envy R2R Supporter MTRCMember Gold Sponsor

Here is a short video showing you How to Properly Plumb the Shadow® Overflow System. This is the first video showing you the initial plumbing. We will also have some more videos coming that will go into detail on how to plumb the internal plumbing on the exterior box.

CodyRVA, 90reefernyc and iamgant like this.
    Tags:

2. Usctom

Usctom Well-Known Member

Is there a reason you don't use pvc primer?

3. mixer911

@Usctom
    Yes, the companies that manufacturer the pvc glues/primers advise against using primer on ABS plastics. Our rear fittings are ABS so we do not recommend using primer on it.

4. minus9

minus9 Active Member

Would using 12" pipe to the first unions be okay? I just have to clear my stand and need about 11 1/2" total.

Big G and mixer911 like this.
  5. mixer911

@minus9 yes technically any length is fine. We just chose 4" as it makes it a little more compact.

6. minus9

minus9 Active Member

Got it, thanks!

mixer911 likes this.
  7. needbiggertanks

needbiggertanks Well-Known Member

Love this overflow, love this customer service

mixer911 likes this.
  8. Big G

Big G Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Here's an option. Consider using "threaded" unions. Those unions are pricy. If you ever need to take them apart and move/adjust the piping, you just unscrew the unions and then can reuse them. Here's a pic from my setup. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers!
    IMG_0637 2.JPG

Sterlingg and mixer911 like this.
  9. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Nice job!

Big G and mixer911 like this.
  10. xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx Active Member

threaded unions have a higher potential of leaking now?
    do you use the plumbers tape in there? or something else?

11. Big G

Big G Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

xaflatoonx likes this.
  12. minus9

minus9 Active Member

Nice! I might use them right before the sump. That would be the only place that would ever change in the future. Thanks for the tip!

13. xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx Active Member

perfect... if that prevents leaks, i would MUCH rather use threaded ones... you can actually UNSCREW and re use if needed.
    the glue ones are always a hit/miss for me with leaking. hate it

thanks for the input.

Big G likes this.
  14. Makers Marc

Makers Marc Active Member

All,

I am hoping someone can assist me with a few questions I have after doing my first leak test on my new 180g. I have the 16"shadow overflow down to a CL-44 sump, using a bean animal drain.

1. The first small leak is coming from between the external box and the glass, which I attribute to not being able to support the pvc adequately. I say this because after attaching all the unions to fire up, my leveler shows the external box is slightly uneven to the right, which is the direction all my plumbing goes.

Attached are some pics, my tank is on a 3/4 plywood board then a welded steel stand. How do yall reccomend I support the pvc or the box?

Currently I'm using PVC strap attached to heavy duty magnetic hooks. I chose this route bc I can't hang those other brackets without drilling the steel stand or the side of the plywood which worries me.

1b. How tight should I screw the overflow boxes bulkheads? All videos say "not too tight " but what does that mean?

2. The second small leak is coming from my secondary drain's unions. It's almost impossible to have them align perfectly before screwing them together? How tight should I tighten the unions?

Any advice is appreciated and needed.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Makers Marc

Makers Marc Active Member

One last question I forgot to add:

Does everyone with similar style sumps glue their pipes into the sump bulkheads? What about gluing into the return bulkheads?

16. Saltwtrnewby

Saltwtrnewby Member

Great question Makers. I’m awaiting a Red mercury CL-44 and am constantly thinking of the plumbing I’ll be needing to do. Im currently stocking up for a 6ft 240g new tank build and plan on plumbing dual Shadow overflows to the sump. Because I’ve splurged and gotten such a beautiful sump, I’m going to try my hardest to get 6 drain lines down to 3 so it’ll work as designed with the sump. I spoke with Rick over at Synergy Reef and he said that was fine so long as I have a gate valve on each primary siphon line before connecting them at a Y. My concern is hard plumbing 6 1.5” lines together and the room it would require to do so. Has anyone had success doing this? I haven’t had any luck finding pictures or videos of someone else with the same setup I can use as a reference. I can’t be the first one to do this...

Draft saved Draft deleted