How to Protect Tank During Home Renovation?

SomeReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a new tank that's currently cycling. I live with my parents as I'm a recent graduate, and they're deciding to do some renovations in the house (for example: stairs). There's a very high probability that they'll be painting/staining some wood inside as well. Now, nothing will be done in my room and I will have the doors closed and windows open. Is there anything else I can do? I know I'm being super paranoid but I'm just anxious. Thanks!

Edit: My tank is also in my room.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've stained, and polyurethaned in my kitchen witch is just a couple feet from my tank, as well as painted the ceiling and entire room my tank was in with 0 issues. I just put a towel over the open top.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You can get inexpensive 4mil rolls of plastic at the hardware store; those are great cut-to-fit tape-on safety barriers. Plexi looks nicer but this is ok for temporary applications.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In July, we had the hardwood floors refinished in the whole house and the room where the 180 tank full of Acros was located. I had glass tops and a basement sump. I sealed the glass tops further with shipping tape. The roll of plastic 4 mil mentioned above would work too.

For the sump, I ran a flexible duct with a duct blower from the inlet of the furnace and bathed the sump area in outside air. Needed to run a dehumidifier in basement.

No losses or any observed le negative effects.

You could also have window fans blowing in to the room to create positive pressure in the tank room. That may be the simplest

Exthinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing with the tank? As I said above, I will start renovating the house. You will have to paint the walls, change light bulbs to smart bulbs, change furniture, etc. Basically, I do a small upgrade at home and make it more modern. There are decent jobs. I have two tanks at home, and I have no idea what to do so that the fish are not affected by the smell and dust. Just covering the tank with something seems not very reasonable to me. I am considering the option of transporting tanks to friends for a while. I think this is the safest solution.

Last edited:

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get inexpensive 4mil rolls of plastic at the hardware store; those are great cut-to-fit tape-on safety barriers. Plexi looks nicer but this is ok for temporary applications.
I just remodeled my entire kitchen living room and stairway to the basement with my tank at the bottom of the stairs. This is exactly what I used covered entire tank and zero issues been going on 6 months including drywall and painting. Dust and dirt everywhere no I’ll effects.

Vzsgzsas1z29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Don't worry. You're not being paranoid. It's always good to be cautious when it comes to your tank and its inhabitants. While I doubt anything horrible will happen, it's always better to be safe than sorry. I suggest covering your tank with a sheet or tarp just in case there is heavy after-construction dust. Also, make sure to ask the workers to wear protective gear when working near your tank and to keep the doors closed. Additionally, you might want to reach out to a company that specializes in both indoor and outdoor house remodeling to get more specific advice and peace of mind.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back