How to put way to much money in a mid sized SPS system!

scdigby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my husband and I have been doing a little thinking and I’d like any input anyone watching this or just passing through is willing to hand out. As stated and shown above the sump that came with this system is a very nice and very complete Trigger Triton 44 gen 1.

Pros.
-Looks great
-Proven design
-MASSIVE fuge
-And most of all... we already own it! Lol

Cons.
-Gen 1 has no sock holder or any other built in means of pre sump mechanical filtration. Something a little DIY could fix, but the main reason we are discussing all this.
-Triton sumps are built and designed to have a really high turnover rate. And as such are not the quietest design.

Now, being quiet isn’t the highest priority but it’s always nice to be able to hear yourself think over your system. Which brings us to the meat and potatoes of the issue. The lack of mechanical filtration. By design these sumps technically aren’t supposed to build up much detritus, but I can’t see a sump at any flow rate that won’t collect detritus without some form of mechanical. Like I said in the pros and cons hubby has some ideas for some form of mechanical but that means modifying a perfectly good sump. So any ideas pitched by anyone he’d very much appreciate.

All this debate and discussion boils down to whether or not we want to sell this sump and custom order the Trigger Platinum 44. At a bit over a grand it would definitely tie hand in hand with the name of this build but is it necessary? We both hate socks! A lot! So if we were to get anything new it would be sump with a built in filter roller. Our current system runs mechanical free but the sump drives hubby nuts. Which also means the modifications to the sump we have would definitely not include filter socks. The main drawback of the of the Trigger Platinum 44 is the smaller fuge. As this is going to be a dedicated SPS system that will also probably be over stocked the largest fuge possible may be a huge benefit.

So this all boils down to anyone willing to share their input with us! Let’s get some thoughts flowing here! Does anyone have any experience with the Trigger Platinum series? Of any size, not just the custom 44. How about the Trigger Triton? Once again of any size, not just the 44. Pros, cons, gripes, anything? Or maybe just some input on our thoughts? Even if you’ve never owned either series.
If you are willing to modify the "perfectly good sump" i would just go ahead and do that. i don't really have any suggestions on how to modify it. i just wouldn't be willing to get rid of a large fuge for a small one. Given the option i would stick with the larger fuge! :)

Leah Ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my husband and I have been doing a little thinking and I’d like any input anyone watching this or just passing through is willing to hand out. As stated and shown above the sump that came with this system is a very nice and very complete Trigger Triton 44 gen 1.

Pros.
-Looks great
-Proven design
-MASSIVE fuge
-And most of all... we already own it! Lol

Cons.
-Gen 1 has no sock holder or any other built in means of pre sump mechanical filtration. Something a little DIY could fix, but the main reason we are discussing all this.
-Triton sumps are built and designed to have a really high turnover rate. And as such are not the quietest design.

Now, being quiet isn’t the highest priority but it’s always nice to be able to hear yourself think over your system. Which brings us to the meat and potatoes of the issue. The lack of mechanical filtration. By design these sumps technically aren’t supposed to build up much detritus, but I can’t see a sump at any flow rate that won’t collect detritus without some form of mechanical. Like I said in the pros and cons hubby has some ideas for some form of mechanical but that means modifying a perfectly good sump. So any ideas pitched by anyone he’d very much appreciate.

All this debate and discussion boils down to whether or not we want to sell this sump and custom order the Trigger Platinum 44. At a bit over a grand it would definitely tie hand in hand with the name of this build but is it necessary? We both hate socks! A lot! So if we were to get anything new it would be sump with a built in filter roller. Our current system runs mechanical free but the sump drives hubby nuts. Which also means the modifications to the sump we have would definitely not include filter socks. The main drawback of the of the Trigger Platinum 44 is the smaller fuge. As this is going to be a dedicated SPS system that will also probably be over stocked the largest fuge possible may be a huge benefit.

So this all boils down to anyone willing to share their input with us! Let’s get some thoughts flowing here! Does anyone have any experience with the Trigger Platinum series? Of any size, not just the custom 44. How about the Trigger Triton? Once again of any size, not just the 44. Pros, cons, gripes, anything? Or maybe just some input on our thoughts? Even if you’ve never owned either series.
My husband and I both have 60gal cubes, and we're both always complaining that we would like more room for a bigger fuge. If you have this option then I would suggest modifying the sump rather than exchanging for a smaller fuge. If it were up to me I'd go for the bigger fuge.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back