How to Quarantine Coral and Inverts

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it necessary to dip coral when removing them from quarantine to go in display if I have not witnessed any pests in the 76 day qt period?
I do have a couple aiptasia in the qt tank but none on the corals themselves
Dip them one last time, rinse, rinse --- observe with a magnifying glass and then into the DT is my usual plan.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be setting up a 20 gal coral QT very soon. Dimentions are 24" x 12" by 16" deep. Quick question as I have an opportunity to purchase a used Kessil a360 with gooseneck for a reasonable price.
Will one a350 be sufficient to light a QT this size? Dont know if it is a wide or narrow angle but have PMd the seller for info.

Last edited:

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got on Aquaclear 50 for my soon-to-be coral QT setup. Couple of questions:
Do I use the carbon that came with the filter or just the sponge and the bio-media?

Should I seed the sponge & bio-media prior to start-up? I’ve got Stability on hand but can get Dr. Tim’s or Bio-Spira if that would be preferable.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got on Aquaclear 50 for my soon-to-be coral QT setup. Couple of questions:
Do I use the carbon that came with the filter or just the sponge and the bio-media?

Should I seed the sponge & bio-media prior to start-up? I’ve got Stability on hand but can get Dr. Tim’s or Bio-Spira if that would be preferable.
Soak the sponge and bio-media in a bowl of Dr. Tim's or Bio-Spira overnight if possible. When done you can pour it into the QT. I leave a sponge and a bag of Bio-Max in my sump at all times to be ready when needed. Save the carbon for when you may need to remove copper, meds, etc. from your QT. If you get a bit of noise from your Aquaclear when starting up, consider applying a bit of food grade silicone to the magnet. Usually only have to do this when brand new. Don't use too much, it won't spin. Just a very small amount. Works great.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak the sponge and bio-media in a bowl of Dr. Tim's or Bio-Spira overnight if possible. When done you can pour it into the QT. I leave a sponge and a bag of Bio-Max in my sump at all times to be ready when needed. Save the carbon for when you may need to remove copper, meds, etc. from your QT. If you get a bit of noise from your Aquaclear when starting up, consider applying a bit of food grade silicone to the magnet. Usually only have to do this when brand new. Don't use too much, it won't spin. Just a very small amount. Works great.
Thanks Big G. Appreciate the tip on the food grade silicon. Got a sponge in my sump but it fits my Seachem Tidal Wave filter which is on my fish QT. Hadn't thought about throwing a bag of Matrix in as well.
Seachem Tidal Wave ok but doesn't really clear water all that well so I thought I'd give the Aquaclear a try. Didn't know it needs priming and now maybe $10-12 for lubricant. Hope the Aquaclear is that much better than the Tidal Wave.

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would a appropriate affordable light be for a small coral qt. I have a tank bought and used twice for frag shows. I think it’s like 12x12 by 6 deep.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my coral Qt up and running and have a question:
Do I need to feed the bacteria until I add corals and inverts?

I’m using a 10 gal tank with an Aquaclear 50. The sponge & bio-media has been seeded with Bio-Spira and I’ve got 10 lbs of Carib Sea Fiji Pink live sand.
I bought a bottle of Dr. Tim’s Ammonium Chloride Solution a while back but never used it in my fish QT and am unclear if I need to add it and the dosage. Bottle says 4 drops/gal but I think I read somewhere on R2R to use 1drop/gal.

Will be another couple weeks before I start adding corals.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would a appropriate affordable light be for a small coral qt. I have a tank bought and used twice for frag shows. I think it’s like 12x12 by 6 deep.

Affordable is a relative term... in my opinion an AÍ Prime HD is an awesome light for that purpose.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would growing chaeto or some other macro algae inside a coral/invert QT be a good idea to help with nutrient export?
Not typically one thing I struggle with in my coral and invert QT is nitrates — they’re too low, not enough nutrients. Chaeto would need to be qt’d like anything else but I’d have a lot of dirty inverts in there to counterbalance or it’ll starve out.

This happened to a couple of my clams I just tried to QT.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would growing chaeto or some other macro algae inside a coral/invert QT be a good idea to help with nutrient export?
You might find you have more problems keeping nutrients in the coral QT. My coal QT was running zero nitrates and phosphates regularly and my LPS frags crashed and most died. I ended up dosing nitrates into the system up to 2-3ppm and it had an amazing effect... corals opened again and improved.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not typically one thing I struggle with in my coral and invert QT is nitrates — they’re too low, not enough nutrients. Chaeto would need to be qt’d like anything else but I’d have a lot of dirty inverts in there to counterbalance or it’ll starve out.

You might find you have more problems keeping nutrients in the coral QT. My coal QT was running zero nitrates and phosphates regularly and my LPS frags crashed and most died. I ended up dosing nitrates into the system up to 2-3ppm and it had an amazing effect... corals opened again and improved.

Interesting. I saw other posts recommending a slimmer for coral qt so I just assumed excess nutrients are typically a problem. I’ll be QT’ing inverts too and will need to feed them. Does that make a difference?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I saw other posts recommending a slimmer for coral qt so I just assumed excess nutrients are typically a problem. I’ll be QT’ing inverts too and will need to feed them. Does that make a difference?
Well, if you are regularly feeding the inverts and corals in quarantine, then you will eventually get some nitrates ants phosphates in the system. I have several snails in with my corals and still hardly very any nutrients. I don't feed them too often... since fishing the nitrates, i actually get some algae growth now and the snails eat those. About every other day, i pour in a teaspoon of the water i use to thaw my frozen mysis for my main tank. This kind of broadcast feeds through out the track and hopefully introduces some phosphates into the system.

Initially when i had zero nutrients, i was getting a light clear-ish type algae forming on my rocks and coral plugs. I was afraid they were chrysophytes... so cleaned them off, dosed nitrates, and they haven't returned.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question ... can I use a HOB filter and powerhead that we’re previously used in a fish QT with copper?

I would definitely soak ants scrub all the filter and powerhead parts in a strong vinegar solution and scrub each piece thoroughly... then rinse heavily in clean water several times... then let air dry. I don't believe the plastic itself can absorb the copper directly.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Given chaeto does not have a hard surface where to encyst I would say 48h would be enough QT. 72h if you are really paranoid. And a good rinse.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back