How to raise Ca and Mg on Larger tanks

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
As the title states, what supplements are reccomended to raise calcium and magnesium that are effective enough where you won't use half a bottle or container to raise it a few points? I've found in my 300 gallon 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda raise the alk by a full dkh, so that's nice.

But I used half a container of the red sea magnesium foundation, the powdery stuff and mg went from 1300 to 1350, its just not efficient enough. Are there good alternatives? Or any baking soda equivalents?

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 400 gallons, I bought Road Runner pet friendly Ice Melt. It is like 7 bucks for a 20 Lb. bag. It is magnesium chloride. It takes a lot of magnesium to raise the level. I run mine at 1500. Once you get it there it does not deplete fast. I have a calcium reactor for the Calcium and I add B-Ionic 2 part. I hope this helps you out.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use bulk dry components instead of liquid bottled stuff. Calcium chloride for Ca. Magnesium chloride, or even mag sulfate if you do water changes, for magnesium.

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 310 I use saturated kalk (5 liters/day but will move to slurry as demand increases) and BRS "General Maintenance" Magnesium mix. A gallon of the mix bumps mag up by 100 PPMish for me, so that gallon lasts a loooong time. I also do very small automated water exchange with tropic marin pro - 2 gallons a day at the moment.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, what supplements are reccomended to raise calcium and magnesium that are effective enough where you won't use half a bottle or container to raise it a few points? I've found in my 300 gallon 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda raise the alk by a full dkh, so that's nice.

But I used half a container of the red sea magnesium foundation, the powdery stuff and mg went from 1300 to 1350, its just not efficient enough. Are there good alternatives? Or any baking soda equivalents?

Are you most concerned with the amount dosed or the cost of the additives?

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Are you most concerned with the amount dosed or the cost of the additives?
Mainly the cost vs quantity. I tried the red sea A and B powders, went through those fast. Normally I'd use a crx but it's offline due to the dosing pump needing a new tube, and I'm realizing now I don't have an efficient backup to use and how much calcium and alk my tank truly consumes, both are low according to my trident. I'm going to test them with Hannah checkers later today to see the accuracy since coral don't seem too stressed yet, though I know rtn is fast and deadly

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back