How to raise nutrients “naturally”?

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no inorganic nitrogen and or phosphate is measured this means the growth rates may ore may not be in balance with the remineralization rate ( taking into account what can not be remineralized due to using a skimmer). One has no clue. For increasing the nutrient reserves, besides managing the food source, most logic will be silencing the skimmer for a period of time, remove GAC and follow up on what happens. There are other and better ways for aeration and for the time needed to recycle the tank the water will not become yellow. Then GAC can be reintroduced slowly. Probably it may show a skimmer is not always needed. An advantage of having a reading is one can follow up on what happens and maybe determine if a balance is found.
Probably this tank is still in its cycling phase. In that case, browning windows are normal. It is a good thing this occurs as it helps using up ammonia. Increasing the nitrification capacity will reduce the rate of browning.
Using GFO and an oversized skimmer while cycling a new tank is something I would never advise.
Phosphorus does not kill unless it is not available. For installing a propper carrying capacity a lot of phosphorus, nitrogen, and other essentials are needed.

If the temperature rises for some reason, the remineralization capacity may not be able to follow the demand. At its best remineralization will need time to follow growth or will not be able to follow at all as the skimmer and GAC keeps on removing TOC and DOC selectively. At least during a period of time nutrients will become limited available in the closed environment where the action is, big or small. A nutrient reserve may help to overcome this period.
Can this reserve be provided by adding nitrate and or phosphate only, bypassing the processes which produce the building materials needed for recycling it? For certain it is not an answer to the question as this would mean adding chemicals.
During a period of increased growth, Phosphorus is best NOT the limiting factor for growth.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back