How to raise Ph?

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using RED SEA ABC.. For the overall balance of PH, Ca2+, and Alk.

What is happening...

The calcium tends to take a week to drop about 40 ppm. However, the alkalinity drops in half the time (I used seachem reef builder to raise the Alk separately) but seems to have balanced out at kh of 10.

Currently...

Ca2+ 460
Alk. 10
PH. 7.8-8

Question...

How do I raise PH, slowly and safely, without affecting my other parameters?

Thanks, in advance.

OP
OP
greenhorn reefer

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using RED SEA ABC.. For the overall balance of PH, Ca2+, and Alk.

What is happening...

The calcium tends to take a week to drop about 40 ppm. However, the alkalinity drops in half the time (I used seachem reef builder to raise the Alk separately) but seems to have balanced out at kh of 10.

Currently...

Ca2+ 460
Alk. 10
PH. 7.8-8

Question...

How do I raise PH, slowly and safely, without affecting my other parameters?

Thanks, in advance.
@revhtree

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been advised to "not chase PH". Are you dosing once per week? How much is the Alk dropping?

OP
OP
greenhorn reefer

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABC, 2, 20g doses, 20 min apart, in my sump. Total water volume is 82 gal. I am dosing 20g under, to avoid raising too quickly. The Reef builder is 3/4 teaspoon doses but hasn't been required for a week+.

nos27ci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your ph in homes water ?
Easy why to rase phone is open windows in the house or add a tube to your skimmer air in let that goes out side . I have to do this in the winter

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, CO2 becomes carbonic acid when in solution, so removing CO2 (by opening windows) will help raise PH. Agitating the water helps too.

OP
OP
greenhorn reefer

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I have the AC on... Could we come up with another solution? Air stone in the sump?

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airstone could help. Point powerheads in the display tank towards the surface (within reason!) to create surface agitation in the DT too.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph was around 7.8 and wanted to get it up a little. I live in Florida so I didn't want to open a window either. SoI ran a tube from my skimmer intake to outside and it raised my ph to 8.1.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With pH, I have done the tubing outside also. A simple test to see if it is the house causing the lower pH is to run an airstone in a cup of water for 1 hour inside house. Check pH. Now take a cup of tank water outside with airstone for 1 hour and test pH. If higher, your house is causing some of the lower pH. That is what I found at my house.

If tubing to outside is not an option, I would look into the scrubber. I plan to add one soon as I do not always trust outside with chemicals from lawn and such.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking a momentary raise, don't sweat it, it happens. If you're talking permanently, I find dosing alk hourly works very well. I use the red sea stuff too.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also try Kalkwasser in your ATO. I was having the same issues where at night it would drop to sometimes 7.5 and during the day I'd be lucky to hit 7.9. Now at night it's at 7.7 and during the day it hits about 8.1 +. Currently now it's sitting at 8.14 according to my Apex.

kyleflahardy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend buying a ph raising chemical. They are inexpensive and work like a charm.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back