How to raise Ph?

MikeyinTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, CO2 becomes carbonic acid when in solution, so removing CO2 (by opening windows) will help raise PH. Agitating the water helps too.

I keep seeing talk about removing CO2, I've had 2 thoughts... one being running some tubing to the outside of the house with a air pump to draw in fresh air on a regular basis.. the other being using pure Oxygen. Would either of these raise/stabilize my PH?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my tubing into my protein skimmer outside. This helped raise my pH from 7.7 to above 8.0 on the low end. (My pH rarely ever drops below 8.0 now.) It seems more stable too. I have been doing this for over 6 years now. I did have to put some mesh over the outside tubing to keep from getting blocked by junk and insects. :) Careful if you use pesticides and such sprayed near the intake. I also have a algae scrubber that runs off hours to help with stability of pH too.

hatrix11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use calkwasser on a doser, double the dose overnight. But if you don't have any issues going on in your tank, than I wouldn't worry too much about it. 8 isn't considered dangerously low.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice a major difference from having chaeto in my sump. When i prune it way back my PH falls to 7.7 ish, when it's filled out the sump it's 8.2ish

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back