How to recreate a thriving tang environment closest to their wild environment

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a new tank. I want this tank to re-create a environment for tangs specifically to thrive. It will be macro-algae based with the goal of providing food they would normally eat in the wild.

Does anyone have expertise about which macroalgae are best for their health? I love the zebrasoma types and powder tangs.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size aquarium for this project? As tangs are big grazers you are going to need a huge tank. Not to mention as you know they are territorial. So your plan is to grow the algae in the tank and let them graze? What shape of aquarium? Just tagging along for the ride here.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large supplies of ulva and ogo will be a primary staple food. You can grow them in a large refugium and move it into the display as it is consumed. Both would be native to most tangs.

OP
OP
LilsReefTank

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size aquarium for this project? As tangs are big grazers you are going to need a huge tank. Not to mention as you know they are territorial. So your plan is to grow the algae in the tank and let them graze? What shape of aquarium? Just tagging along for the ride here.
I am planning rectangle tank as that seems the easiest to maintain. Still calculating the total gallons but it will be at least 6 feet long. Still mapping out the height/width.

I can't find the photos atm but I've seen a few macroalgae tanks that utilized the back wall space to grow from. And they really were able to pack ALOT of different types of algae when placed strategically. Was also planning on growing sponges too as I read some types of fish enjoy grazing on that as well. I have another tank that houses my corals so I don't plan on any corals going in here.

Thoughts?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my thoughts would be if you plan on growing the algae in the tank on the rocks and back wall. It would look awesome before you added the tangs.

You would have to establish the algae for some time. Then I think you may be able to pull off 1 tang in 6ft tank. One very small tang or maybe a couple very small tangs. If you have multiple tangs such as I do. There is always competition for food and a pecking order. I have had them for many years so they are not small.

Since you will be growing everything in the display. I would think that if you had several tangs they would just graze all the algae over time faster than you can grow it. So you can probably enjoy your tank while they are small or tiny fish.

So basically you will be back to just feeding the tangs algae as the most of us do once they get bigger. I really like the concept and idea, so I'm tagging along to see everyones thoughts and people who have tried but I think as they say in the movies "your going to need a bigger boat". One that would sustain algae growth as they grow so they would have more grazing areas.

So how many tangs you going for?

OP
OP
LilsReefTank

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my thoughts would be if you plan on growing the algae in the tank on the rocks and back wall. It would look awesome before you added the tangs.

You would have to establish the algae for some time. Then I think you may be able to pull off 1 tang in 6ft tank. One very small tang or maybe a couple very small tangs. If you have multiple tangs such as I do. There is always competition for food and a pecking order. I have had them for many years so they are not small.

Since you will be growing everything in the display. I would think that if you had several tangs they would just graze all the algae over time faster than you can grow it. So you can probably enjoy your tank while they are small or tiny fish.

So basically you will be back to just feeding the tangs algae as the most of us do once they get bigger. I really like the concept and idea, so I'm tagging along to see everyones thoughts and people who have tried but I think as they say in the movies "your going to need a bigger boat". One that would sustain algae growth as they grow so they would have more grazing areas.

So how many tangs you going for?
Oh snap, thank you for the insight!

I read of many people trying to keep tangs and the fish ended up being too frustrated in the space and many stories not ending well so I really wanted to make sure to start on the right foot.

Yes, this is def going to be a long term project. I'm going to have to make sure I can raise the algae healthily and find that sweet spot of them thriving before I add the tangs.

Given your experience... I might just do the 1 tang (a powder blue or Achilles). And maybeeeee add yellow tangs if things are going right? Given how expensive this hobby is... I def would prefer not to make noob mistakes hah

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mostly what you need is big. Bigger than that, for the species you've chosen. Tangs are very active fish that, IMO, simply do not belong in most aquariums.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve has some nice macro tanks. Any input on farming for tangs?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve has some nice macro tanks. Any input on farming for tangs?
In regards to farming, ogo in a dt wont last long. Best to grow it in a sump. In my 180, the back side of the rocks is caulerpa prolifera. I grew it in my macro tank and then once it got massive moved it over to the 180. It grows fast enough to stay available to them once you have a massive patch of it and the tangs will not let it take over. All of my tangs (check my build thread for the list) will devour new growth and runners first.

Then there is ulva. This needs to be the “scrunched” up stuff. It can be ordered from a few places, just be sure to call them ask what they have in stock. You do not want the wide “leafy” type. The scrunched up stuff grows thick, will establish a foot hood and tangs usually cannot get the foothold out of the rock, so the ulva will be able to grow back.

In addition, there will still need to be maiamtece for the caulerpa. Some stands will never get chewed on, so you have to watch it for the tips going white. Once they get a little white on them, just trim them to about 1/4-1/2” below it. This will prevent the caulerpa from going sexual and possibly fouling the tank.

Side note: you can start growing caulerpa and other macros right as you set a new tank up. You will just need to dose ammonia (Austin’s works great) and some cheatogrow. This will help get the tank cycled and feed the macros. It will also allow you to establish a good “garden” before fish are added.

Side note 2: even with fish, you may need to supplement ammonia via a doser throughout the day (night if you run a reverse light fuge) and still supplement traces with cheatogrow. The ammonia dosing will not affect fish, as you are only adding a little and the macros suck it up so quick that it doesn’t build up to anywhere near toxic levels.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add this.

Even with all of this macro growing, you will still need to feed other things. I have dove many reefs and tons of open water stuff also and tangs will not only eat macro, but they will bust schools of small sardines and other small fish. So while they are classified as herbivores, they still like meaty foods and other things.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you establish your algae growing. I suggest you add all the tangs at the same time. So if you want 3 yellow tangs and an Achillies. Then add all 4 at the same time. Your new yellow tangs will most likely be the size of a quarter or so. The Achillies if small will be around 3". So your algae in the aquarium should last a while. They will have plenty to graze on for a while. The yellow tangs will establish pecking order. Obviously the Achillies will rule the tank. I'm not sure how long it will take for the tangs to demolish or deplinish whatever you have grown. But be assured. It will happen as they get bigger or maybe even in several months.

As I said. It will be a gorgeous tank to see. Cant wait to see when you get started. Just be prepared to grow the algae in a sump or some other aquarium and make it so you can rubber band that algae on some rocks that you can remove and put back in constantly to get that natural look you are looking for.

BTW. Do not. and I repeat. Do not add the Achillies by itself and then try to add yellow tangs later It will most likely be a nightmare for the yellow tangs. The achillies will most likely kill them. Not saying it cant be done but just be safe and add them all at the same time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back