How to Reef in an Appartment

Max Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I have finally decided to move out of my parents basement and into my own apartment. I don't yet have an apartment but I do know that I plan to build myself a 180G tank.
My big question is what do you recommend I look for or make sure I ask to make sure my apartment is reef compatible.
I wasn't sure if asking if reef tanks would be a good idea, I figured I could supplement this question by asking if they allow water beds. Is this a good move?
If it helps I'm looking for a place between Jefferson park and Logan Square.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
first see how they are with pets, then ask for fish tank flat out. being sneaky only leads to issues down the road.

If it's not on the bottom floor, watch out for load bearing floors. wooden floors might also get damaged from the weight of a larger tank and/or spills Then you'll have to deal with finding a source of RO water. A 180 gallon gets expensive really fast unless you have a RODI.

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the floor is sturdy! Deffo recommend a ground floor apartment, don’t forget you have to get the tank up there! Then the water supply, and the landlord will want to know about it, I have a Red Sea reefer 425xl, and full of water, that thing weighs about 700kg! And that’s only 120 gal!

OP
OP
Max Hill

Max Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to lug water around when you do a water change or do u recommend an RO/DI system?
Haha I have a feeling that the US apartments aren't built as well as the ones in the UK

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you mean when you say need an rodi for 180gallon system...

how much water looking to be used

Only ask as im upgrading now to a 180...and curious how much additional “fresh” water needed I usually keep about 15g on hand from my lfs

OP
OP
Max Hill

Max Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first see how they are with pets, then ask for fish tank flat out. being sneaky only leads to issues down the road.

If it's not on the bottom floor, watch out for load bearing floors. wooden floors might also get damaged from the weight of a larger tank and/or spills Then you'll have to deal with finding a source of RO water. A 180 gallon gets expensive really fast unless you have a RODI.
Will the relator know if its a load bearing floor or Should I be looking for something specific?

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to lug water around when you do a water change or do u recommend an RO/DI system?
Haha I have a feeling that the US apartments aren't built as well as the ones in the UK
I always recommend a rodi, yeah there’s always going to be a bit of manual labour, haha well thats probably true! Last thing you want is that tank coming through the floor and squashing someone underneath!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I have finally decided to move out of my parents basement and into my own apartment. I don't yet have an apartment but I do know that I plan to build myself a 180G tank.
My big question is what do you recommend I look for or make sure I ask to make sure my apartment is reef compatible.
I wasn't sure if asking if reef tanks would be a good idea, I figured I could supplement this question by asking if they allow water beds. Is this a good move?
If it helps I'm looking for a place between Jefferson park and Logan Square.

Don’t rent form apartment complexes unless they okay a large aquarium .. rent from a private owner... like half of a duplex. Apartment complexes are generally owned by a company and the managers have no say in bending the rules... so finding w complex is more difficult.

180g is a huge tank and you can’t just put it on the 2nd floor. Flirst floor on a concrete slab. If you have a basement under you then I would not do it without reinforcing the floor which may not be something you can do in an apartment.

Do not lie. If they have to fix something or simply give you notice that they need inside for inspection or such... you can’t just shove a 180g tank under a couch. They can tell you to get rid of it in so many days or evict you if it violates the agreement. Then you have that stain on your history.

I rent with a dog and 3 cats and several fish tanks and he said I could have any size I wanted. I rented half of a duplex from a young guy who owns the house. I am a good tenant in every other way and never am late on a payment. If I move out, I leave the places immaculate. This gets you good references when you move. Sometimes good enough for people to allow you to have a zoo.

Keep in mind you may have to settle on something smaller. A 180g tank of salt busting a seam is a landlords nightmare.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back