How to remove copper from a QT and convert to Frag tank

Brendanb5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a 40 gallon breeder to use as a quarantine tank to treat my fish for Ich with Copper Power. From the beginning my plan was to turn the 40 gallon breeder into a frag tank after quarantine and the fish are all back in the display.
Is it possible to remove the copper from the water with charcoal and cuprisorb, or do I need to do a complete water change and clean the tank?
What about the filtration? Can the foam filters, pads, and ceramic rings be reused or should it all be replaced?
The tank is bare bottom with only pvc pipe for shelters and is plumped to a fluval canister filter, so no rock or sand to absorb copper

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large water changes in addition to running cuprisorb constantly will pull the copper out, but not to 0, quickly.
Foam and filter pads will release carbon quickly. Ceramic rings will not. In my honest opinion, there's no reason not to do a full cleanout.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cuprisorb is made for this sort of thing so it should work well, i would replace all filter media just in case as well as it is pretty cheap to do

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back