How to reuse filter socks? Advice welcome!

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. In lieu of supply issues, I would like to reuse my filter socks as much as possible. If I was to throw them in the washing machine (no soap or bleach added), and then dried them in the dryer (no fabric sheets or anything added), would this be okay? Is there any other way of doing this? I was also thinking soaking them in a white vinegar/water mixture in a 5 gallon bucket, but not sure if the acid from the vinegar would corrode the felt? Your advice is welcome. Thank you!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Look at this, i've explained it there.

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them in the washing machine for years... inside them out, no detergent, no bleach, deep cycle, extra hot, extra rinse. New socks yearly.

Do not dry - the plastic could melt and there is no need.

Alternatively, you can power wash them, or even just rinse them heavily in the sink.

If you really want to soak them you can use vinegar or citric acid. Citric acid is less abrasive on the plastic.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi , soak mine in bucket of bleach and fresh water 3 to 1 bleach , until enough to run through washer
with bleach, double rinse cycle ,then air dry...

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put them in the washing machine for years... inside them out, no detergent, no bleach, deep cycle, extra hot, extra rinse. New socks yearly.

Alternatively, you can power wash them, or even just rinse them heavily in the sink.

If you really want to soak them you can use vinegar or citric acid. Citric acid is less abrasive on the plastic.
I do exactly this washing machine method, but with bleach.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turn inside out, rinse in tap water then into bucket with some bleach water. Hour or so later rinse good in tap water turn right side in, fling off( sock in hand,bend elbow, straighten elbow quick,repeat) set aside for use.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same thing.

I have 18 socks so I can go about a month or so between washings.

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Washing machine with hot water and bleach Extra Rinse. Air dry. Once dry the bleach has dissipated.

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them in the washing machine for years... inside them out, no detergent, no bleach, deep cycle, extra hot, extra rinse.
This only I add a splash of bleach and turn them right side out then run the extra rinse cycle. They really don't seem to hold water after spinning so I just toss them in a clothes basket.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over 2 dozen filter socks as I change them every other day. Save them in a 5 gallon bucket and toss them in the washing machine after I run a cycle empty to clean anything out that may be in there. Add small amount of bleach, our washer has an option for up to 5 rinse cycles so I max that out then lay them out in the floor of my fish room to dry over night. Used to use dryer on low heat on gentle but found for some reason it caused skimmer to go crazy, might have been residual left on drum from dryer sheets from normal laundry….but since switching to air dry I haven’t had any skimmer issues.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using my home made filter socks for 18 months now.
I bought a roll of filter material, my wife cut and sewed 10 socks out of the roll for $20 and I drop them in the wash with a bleach tablet, two rinse cycle and air dry.
Big bang for the buck, I'm still getting 4 to 5 days before having to swap them out.
Hope this helps.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using my home made filter socks for 18 months now.
I bought a roll of filter material, my wife cut and sewed 10 socks out of the roll for $20 and I drop them in the wash with a bleach tablet, two rinse cycle and air dry.
Big bang for the buck, I'm still getting 4 to 5 days before having to swap them out.
Hope this helps.
I used to wait till my socks were plugged and almost running over and it was causing severe nutrient problems hence why I change them out every other day now before anything caught in them has a chance to break down.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to wait till my socks were plugged and almost running over and it was causing severe nutrient problems hence why I change them out every other day now before anything caught in them has a chance to break down.
I have a light bio load and thank goodness, nutrients well under control. Back when they weren't, I swapped every two days.

Back