How to run carbon?

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a very noob question but I am just starting the cycling process and I heard that I should also run carbon with it. When I research this, I see various ways of "running carbon" including some big reactor contraptions down to a simple baggy filled with carbon, or even a carbon foam pad. Which way am I supposed to do it? Can I just buy the baggies and throw it into one of the compartments in the sump?

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way for you to run it is probably chemi pure blue as it doesnt need any extra equipment and you can easily take it in or out as needed.

Is there any reason you want to run carbon? There is alot of pros to it but alot of cons especially if you do it wrong.

SaJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way for you to run it is probably chemi pure blue as it doesnt need any extra equipment and you can easily take it in or out as needed.

Is there any reason you want to run carbon? There is alot of pros to it but alot of cons especially if you do it wrong.
I personally would not run carbon during the cycle. Carbon is designed to remove impurities. (I surely would not run it during the cycle). When you do run carbon at a later date you want to introduce it slowly and remove it slowly. Just a thought ;)

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My brand new skimmer is not cooperating (aggressively overflowing) and therefore someone in another thread suggested I just turn it off during cycling and run a carbon filter . Can you elaborate on how I might do it wrong and what could happen?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a very noob question but I am just starting the cycling process and I heard that I should also run carbon with it. When I research this, I see various ways of "running carbon" including some big reactor contraptions down to a simple baggy filled with carbon, or even a carbon foam pad. Which way am I supposed to do it? Can I just buy the baggies and throw it into one of the compartments in the sump?
My opinion: Don't add anything. If there is a skimmer running, turn it off. Wait for at least a month to cycle.

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Thanks for the advice. I'll just cycle with no skimmer or carbon. After I finish the cycling, what would be the best way to run the carbon? Should I just use the chemi pure blue? Is it worth it to buy those reactors?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are trying to remove toxins to mitigate coral allelopathy, bad smell, etc. I would simply use a bag with a measured amount of quality carbon and place it where it gets good flow. You won't need to "run" carbon while cycling.
What size is your tank btw?

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are trying to remove toxins to mitigate coral allelopathy, bad smell, etc. I would simply use a bag with a measured amount of quality carbon and place it where it gets good flow. You won't need to "run" carbon while cycling.
What size is your tank btw?
I have the waterbox 100.3 (75g DT and 25g sump)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back