How to safely treat Aiptasia embedded in coral colonies

BluewaterMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some recent growths of Aiptasia in my reef tank, and purchased Franks F Aiptasia to treat before the problem increases. The standalone Aiptasia growths I can treat easily enough, but I have a few popping out embedded in and around some coral colonies. And the videos on the product suggest it could be very harmful to treat Aiptasia that close to the live coral.

Two examples of growths around the coral in attached pictures.

How do people address Aiptasia growths like this on or near the coral when something like Frank's can't be applied? Is there a best practice for getting at these without putting the coral at any risk? I'm a fairly new reefer so have not had experience with this before

I am running a Red Sea 250 (55 gallon display) so somewhat limited in live stock approaches to control.

Thank you!

aiptasia2.jpeg aiptasia1.jpg

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aiptasia x around once a month to keep them under control I don't really mind them and I have so much rock, coral etc... no way to get em all ever. I use the aiptasia x around, on all types of corals and it does nothing to the corals. I do blow it off the corals gently after the aiptasias in the zone have shriveled up after 5 minutes. Not sure what the stuff your using does to corals. I've even tried in the past to kill zoas, encrusting corals approaching others and other corals and they laugh at the aiptasia x.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to is Berghia nudibranchs, aptasia is the only thing they eat. Reeftown has a formula, I believe, to let you know how much you need. Tidal Gardens also sells them. Unfortunately when the aptasia is gone they starve, which occurs in nature as well. To bad they are really cool little guys.
C52F1B29-1596-4CEA-925B-8EE9908D8B61.jpeg

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F Aptasia is the way to go, and you're not going to hurt those zoas unless you accidently fill one with the stuff. Key is turning off all flow for a half hour or so. I had aptasia growing on the stocks of my zoas and this worked just fine.

TalkinTangie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 on the Berghia nudibranches. They are amazing, I never wanted them or even knew what they were. I had aiptasia in between everything, and the Berghia did exactly as I was told they would. Truly effective!

I had one going all over my zoas to get to aiptasia. Good luck!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back