How to say "Nudibranch" ...the correct way...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yesterday, I started a thread explaining the correct way to pronounce "Chaeto." (You can find that thread HERE.) So, today I thought I'd get one going on the correct way to pronounce another word that is often (usually?) mispronounced in our hobby.

The word I'm looking at today is "Nudibranch." This one gets pronounced incorrectly as "noody-branch" (like a branch on a tree?). It's like because we see the word "branch" in there, we feel compelled to pronounce that as if it was the English word for a new limb on a tree.

The last syllable occasionally gets corrected to "bränch" as if our tree were now grown in the UK (with the "a" having an "ah" sound like in "father"). ...and that change is actually correct...but it's not enough to fix our pronunciation.

...because it's that "ch" on the end that seems to be the part that messes up most people. The correct way to say that "ch" is with the "k" sound typical of Latin (just like it was in our word yesterday).

The correct way to pronounce this word is "Noo-di-brahnk."

Now didn't that information transform and fulfill your day!? Happy Reefing, friends!! :cool:

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
season 1 friends GIF

200.gif

cat goodbye GIF by Looney Tunes

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I started a thread explaining the correct way to pronounce "Chaeto." (You can find that thread HERE.) So, today I thought I'd get one going on the correct way to pronounce another word that is often (usually?) mispronounced in our hobby.

The word I'm looking at today is "Nudibranch." This one gets pronounced incorrectly as "noody-branch" (like a branch on a tree?). It's like because we see the word "branch" in there, we feel compelled to pronounce that as if it was the English word for a new limb on a tree.

The last syllable occasionally gets corrected to "bränch" as if our tree were now grown in the UK (with the "a" having an "ah" sound like in "father"). ...and that change is actually correct...but it's not enough to fix our pronunciation.

...because it's that "ch" on the end that seems to be the part that messes up most people. The correct way to say that "ch" is with the "k" sound typical of Latin (just like it was in our word yesterday).

Now didn't that information transform and fulfill your day!? Happy Reefing, friends!! :cool:
Good job I would only buy it on-line so I can say moody ranch or something like that ;)
Happy Good Vibes GIF by Apple Music

PSU_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one I knew already. Try zooxanthellae. I have heard it so many ways. Even one source says it can be said multiple ways. :)
I've always pronounced this zo-anthel for whatever reason. I watched the netflix reef documentary and they pronounced it zo-zan-thellee. completely messed that one up.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a redneck. Almost nothing in this hooby gets correctly pronounced by me.

Chay-toe
****-e-branch
etc. etc.

I do love the fact when others try to correct me though. Been doing this 40 years and still cannot say them right. Just too lazy lol.

brother GIF

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

We all know it’s New Dee Branch like the tree. C’mon now.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just found out away to get my wife who is a teacher into this hobby of mine... I always mispronounce words.. .. not that she is the spelling police type of person.. she just looks at me funny when I try and use a big word. My definition is correct.. I just butcher it big time.

Pretty sure that is a sign of reading and not interacting verbally with people on a day to day basis.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back