How to secure ricordea?

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my pioneer pair of ricordea have been doing well in my tank for a bit over a week, but I initially kept them on their whole plugs so I could move them if needed. They acclimated and opened back up fully within an hour of adding to the tank after a dip (revive) and wash in tank water. Now that I'm fairly confident that there's nothing too unpalatable for them with their positioning I want to trim away their plugs and glue them onto their rock. I've read that shrooms don't like to be cut completely off the plug as they don't like glue and take a while to attach to rock on their own, so I'm looking for any tips or advice on how best to pare down the plug so that it's not an obvious pimple on the rockwork after the shrooms grow out.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet is to cut the plug down leaving just enough for the ricordea’s foot to hold onto. Their feet are like anemone feet so gluing them down isn’t a good idea. They can actually move on their own.
another option if you want to totally get rid of the plug is to take a razor blade and cut it off of the plug as close to the base as possible. Then place the cut ricordea into a container so it doesn’t blow away (I use a Tupperware with some holes drilled in it for flow) and some rock rubble in it. If you leave that in the back of your tank, It’ll heal and reattach to some of the rubble on its own in a couple of weeks.
That’s also how I frag ricordea.

OP
OP
R

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
option if you want to totally get rid of the plug is to take a razor blade and cut it off of the plug as close to the base as possible. Then place the cut ricordea into a container so it doesn’t blow away (I use a Tupperware with some holes drilled in it for flow) and some rock rubble in it. If you leave that in the back of your tank, It’ll heal and reattach to some of the rubble on its own in a couple of weeks.
Thanks! I was disappointed to see that the orange probably started out on a piece of rubble glued to the plug but has divided and the baby is attached to the plug. Would have been a lot easier to just pop the rubble off and glue it down.

1659977516891.png

OP
OP
R

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use a rubber band or some twine string gently secure them for a couple days to a small piece of rubble.

I've heard about this approach but as a newbie I'm not so confident in my ability to determine the right amount of pressure. I think I'll go with the "trim the plug back as much as possible and then glue" route this time.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cut the stem off mine and glue the round plug to rocks as stated above. Sometimes I will trim the round plug also if I am trying to get it into a tight spot. I have had the rics leave the plug though and find their own preferred spot to which I like when they do that.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good suggestions here and I will add my experience is that they will move where they feel comfortable. That being said I would nip off the plug around the foot and glue what’s left of the plug to your rock and he will go where he wants . Good luck

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back