How to set up plumbing on a custom tank?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does help, thanks. Not quite following the elbow discussion but I'm sure I can find a diagram somewhere.
Just google Bean Animal overflow. Not to be dismissive but it will be easier.

Two returns means more flow but once again, redundancy is key here.

A few years ago I would have slapped someone for saying the return flow was enough for a tank but after a Powerhead ate an anemone I took them all out and the return flow is perfect for LPS and anemones. (About 30x tank volume per hour)

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh thought you already had it! I’ve heard custom glass shops are months and months out
This one is acrylic and time frame is 10 to 12 weeks. Hopefully not longer, but I have lots of planning time which is nice. It needs to go in the same spot as my current tank so that'll take some work.

twhit030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rough, I’ve had the same scenario before. Not the easiest move especially considering you have to do another cycle period with the new tank even if you use the same rock and sand algae will spike all over the glass

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already have that bright blue pvc on my wish list LOL. The sump I plan on getting is white/blue too. I admit, I really like the flex tubing I had on my tank years ago for ease of setup, but I did have two small floods because of it. My husband was not impressed :eek:

I like flex pvc.
There is no reason a well designed system should flood.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is acrylic and time frame is 10 to 12 weeks. Hopefully not longer, but I have lots of planning time which is nice. It needs to go in the same spot as my current tank so that'll take some work.
I hear you. My 120g is on a built in cabinet that could easily support a 200-300g tank. It was made for a 7’ x 24” by 3’ tall tank. We just finished the basement area below it and there’s a perfect place for a fish room.

My brain is already spinning on how many 300g horse troughs I can fit down there.

I just can’t imagine moving all my stuff into buckets for weeks while things were installed and plumbed. It sounds like a sleepless nightmare.

Best of luck to you. You have lots of time to go slowly, plan everything out, and create an action plan. I’m sure it will be great!

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. My 120g is on a built in cabinet that could easily support a 200-300g tank. It was made for a 7’ x 24” by 3’ tall tank. We just finished the basement area below it and there’s a perfect place for a fish room.

My brain is already spinning on how many 300g horse troughs I can fit down there.

I just can’t imagine moving all my stuff into buckets for weeks while things were installed and plumbed. It sounds like a sleepless nightmare.

Best of luck to you. You have lots of time to go slowly, plan everything out, and create an action plan. I’m sure it will be great!
Well, my plan is to only have them in for a day or two. Should be able to plumb and test everything ahead of time. When I set up my original tank, I used live rock and bacteria and didn't get more than 1 or 2 days of an ammonia spike (and no nitrite spike at all) so hopefully I can pull that off again.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my plan is to only have them in for a day or two. Should be able to plumb and test everything ahead of time. When I set up my original tank, I used live rock and bacteria and didn't get more than 1 or 2 days of an ammonia spike (and no nitrite spike at all) so hopefully I can pull that off again.
I’m sure a couple days will be fine and it will go smoothly!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, "well designed" was probably not in the equation at the time LOL. I don't recall how it was set up - it was like 15 years ago.

I did not mean your old system i meant the new system with a beanimal drain system. Seems like a lot of old systems all had multiple single points of failure possibilities.

Back