How to ship live coral. Easy. Fairly Concise... with Links!

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody every used these foil insulated liners? They're pretty cheap, works out to under $3 after buying boxes for an 8x8x8. I picked up some coral for a buddy from a shop while I was on vacation and they used this style liner and 24 hours later the coral was fine, but this of course was transported by me personally. Has anybody here shipped with these with success? http://www.koldtogo.com/8-cube-extreme-shipping-liner

LarrySmith75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody every used these foil insulated liners? They're pretty cheap, works out to under $3 after buying boxes for an 8x8x8. I picked up some coral for a buddy from a shop while I was on vacation and they used this style liner and 24 hours later the coral was fine, but this of course was transported by me personally. Has anybody here shipped with these with success? http://www.koldtogo.com/8-cube-extreme-shipping-liner
Algae Barn uses them for their phytoplankton.

jakub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easiest to go to a local home improvement store and get 1/2"styrofoam and cut it to the boxes dimensions +heat packs and you're ready to ship

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if these places were already mentioned. For packaging supplies I use Infinity Packaging Supplies and for shipping I go through Ship Your Aquatics

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm puzzled by the FedEx discussion. I print my shipping labels online and bring them to the FedEx office. There has never been any discussion about "what's in the box", at any FedEx shipping center I've used.

Maybe thats something that only happens when you ask FedEx to print the label for you?

In any case USPS overnight (priority express) is often cheaper... never found a case where UPS was, not sure how they get any customers :)

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are thinking about shipping...

maybe I can help

I always try and get people to ship FedEx to a FedEx Office address. They might not accept any packages from other carriers. FedEx is not the only carrier you can use. UPS is a good carrier but many have had issues using USPS. Shipping to a FedEx Office location is the safest way to recieve live packages as I have had many issues with the delivery guys on my route. They have left packages out in the cold as well as other issues. When having packages delivered to your home, they generally are tossed around more on the truck. The truck might also get cold or hot reducing the survivability of your coral.

FedEx Priority Overnite is an overnite delivery arriving before 10:30am. Its usually quite pricey, like $60-70. Most people and companies take losses on shipping. There are some good threads you can search for to minimize this shipping expense, like setting up an account with fedex etc. Shipping that arrives later than overnite 10:30am is more of a risk for you because the coral has a lower survivability. Its a shame to loose such a beauty piece to save on shipping and if it dies its usually understood that the seller will be responsible and have to ship another frag for free or refund the money.

Longer cheaper shipping is especially risky in the winter and summer. In the winter you might need a heat pack. Use the 40+ hour ones nothing less, just in case it gets delayed. Also, this is important... make sure the heat pack is warm before you close the box. I have had a few die in the last few months due to shippers not checking. In the summer it might be necessary to add a cool pack. There are many ways to accomplish this some as simple as a triple bagged bag of frozen water. Other cool packs are available. Optimally a shipper checks the weather in the destination city and then makes an educated decision.

Make sure you bag up properly (3 or 4 layers) so the bags don't leak. Some use metal clasps, heat seals, rubber bands, or simply tying the bags tight. Ime most leaks occur in rubber banded bags. Use plenty of packing to make sure the bagged coral does not toss around or even move at all. Put a few layers of newspaper between the bag and the heat pack to make sure it doesn't get too hot or cold. Use an insulated styrofoam shipping box.

This is important, do not tell fedex that its a live package or coral, lie to them or they will not accept it. Try and use a box that says perishable on the side and this side up arrows.

Keep in good communication with whoever is recieving the coral. Don't ship without an ok on the address, time, date, and carrier from the reciever. Include the recievers phone number with the address on the package. Ask for constructive criticism about your shipping methods after your package has been recieved. Start off with a few cheap corals as a gift for a friend :) Give your frags plenty of time to heal after fragging. Be cautious when shipping stressed corals. Sometimes stuff dies in shipping. It happens! All that you can do is try and make it right with the reciever and learn from it!

Buy shipping stuff on the low low here:
ULINE - Cardboard Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Plastic Bags

learn about shipping on the low low here
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f20/5-ways-ship-corals-effectively-efficiently-37251.html

I hope I covered everything. If not feel free to add input or corrections/constructive criticisms.

Good luck,
Kris
What about just traveling after just buying coral. 6 hours total? What are peoples feels about this?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are thinking about shipping...

maybe I can help

I always try and get people to ship FedEx to a FedEx Office address. They might not accept any packages from other carriers. FedEx is not the only carrier you can use. UPS is a good carrier but many have had issues using USPS. Shipping to a FedEx Office location is the safest way to recieve live packages as I have had many issues with the delivery guys on my route. They have left packages out in the cold as well as other issues. When having packages delivered to your home, they generally are tossed around more on the truck. The truck might also get cold or hot reducing the survivability of your coral.

FedEx Priority Overnite is an overnite delivery arriving before 10:30am. Its usually quite pricey, like $60-70. Most people and companies take losses on shipping. There are some good threads you can search for to minimize this shipping expense, like setting up an account with fedex etc. Shipping that arrives later than overnite 10:30am is more of a risk for you because the coral has a lower survivability. Its a shame to loose such a beauty piece to save on shipping and if it dies its usually understood that the seller will be responsible and have to ship another frag for free or refund the money.

Longer cheaper shipping is especially risky in the winter and summer. In the winter you might need a heat pack. Use the 40+ hour ones nothing less, just in case it gets delayed. Also, this is important... make sure the heat pack is warm before you close the box. I have had a few die in the last few months due to shippers not checking. In the summer it might be necessary to add a cool pack. There are many ways to accomplish this some as simple as a triple bagged bag of frozen water. Other cool packs are available. Optimally a shipper checks the weather in the destination city and then makes an educated decision.

Make sure you bag up properly (3 or 4 layers) so the bags don't leak. Some use metal clasps, heat seals, rubber bands, or simply tying the bags tight. Ime most leaks occur in rubber banded bags. Use plenty of packing to make sure the bagged coral does not toss around or even move at all. Put a few layers of newspaper between the bag and the heat pack to make sure it doesn't get too hot or cold. Use an insulated styrofoam shipping box.

This is important, do not tell fedex that its a live package or coral, lie to them or they will not accept it. Try and use a box that says perishable on the side and this side up arrows.

Keep in good communication with whoever is recieving the coral. Don't ship without an ok on the address, time, date, and carrier from the reciever. Include the recievers phone number with the address on the package. Ask for constructive criticism about your shipping methods after your package has been recieved. Start off with a few cheap corals as a gift for a friend :) Give your frags plenty of time to heal after fragging. Be cautious when shipping stressed corals. Sometimes stuff dies in shipping. It happens! All that you can do is try and make it right with the reciever and learn from it!

Buy shipping stuff on the low low here:
ULINE - Cardboard Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Plastic Bags

learn about shipping on the low low here
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f20/5-ways-ship-corals-effectively-efficiently-37251.html

I hope I covered everything. If not feel free to add input or corrections/constructive criticisms.

Good luck,
Kris
Very nice write up thank you, I wonder gow close this is today

What are some of the best most efficient ways to ship a few frags in the US ?

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's easiest to go to a local home improvement store and get 1/2"styrofoam and cut it to the boxes dimensions +heat packs and you're ready to ship
Cheaper maybe. Easier idk. It requires time and work. I guess if you set it up right. I gave up on that and just buy the boxes now from Uline. Costs me about $10 per box I ship.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back