How to ship live coral. Easy. Fairly Concise... with Links!

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should i say to the employee when he asks me whats in the box? If i say coral, they might turn me down. right?

I was turned down as a hobbyist when I would try and ship and tell them it was a live coral. It was with FedEx. I don't use FedEx anymore and I am no longer a hobbyist. I have a business account with UPS and am an approved Live Shipper.

All I can say was that after that first time packaging everything up and driving over to the FedEx location and getting denied and having to bring it all home, I didn't want to experience that again. After that as a hobbyist I decided to tell them I was shipping something else. I usually chose something fragile (the box usually said fragile) like a vase. After telling them it was something other than coral I had no problems. Now that I have the account I no longer have to lie. Other people have said that saying it was a coral wasn't a problem in their area. All I was trying to do was let people know it was a potential issue and what I chose to do when it happened to me. Good luck and please let us know what you do where you live and how it all works out.

davelink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whenever i ship and they ask what it is, i say that it is "reef additives" similar to rocks.. they usually stop asking me when i give them that

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been asked what I was shipping at fedex and told them they were ornamentals. one other thing i would like to mention is that if you tell them that your shipment is worth more than 500 when they ask, they are required to view the contents of the box. A fedex employee asked me to open the box after I had spent 2 hours preparing everything, so I just played it off telling her that this was only part of a larger shipment equalling that value.

shecter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i told them glass. i had one woman argue with me saying i was stupid for sending it overnight. id be very interested in seeing what others say the contents are when shipping.

budsbunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok here's an idea for shipping...... take a gatorade bottle glue the frag to the lid and put the bottle under water as you put the lid on the bottle so you have zero air in the bottle reducing the sloshing around of frag during shipping and when possible fill the bpottle with macro algea to help keep the water conditions less toxic sorta of like a packing peanut with benifits for coral

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always told the person at FedEx office that it is coral when they ask and it has never been a problem.

coder35

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you need to have fedEx account in order to send out a livestocks box?
can you send a livestock box without a fedex account anyone?

thanks

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm not looking in the right place. Can someone give me the direct link to the bags normally used for shipping. All I see are the resealable ones. Also, with the weather being near freezing, is a 30 hour heat pack going to be ok for overnight shipping?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert but I think it's 3mil poly bags you want. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any thoughts on that Gatorade bottle idea? Im setting up a frag tank here in a few months with hope to eventually sell stuff, just looking for a materials list sorta

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember finding this thread when people first started asking me to ship.

In my experiences USPS is getting more and more inconsistent. Although they say it's next day packages arrive 2-Day more often than they should. FedEx seems to be the top choice for most top quality shippers. But prices are so high. One time it cost me $120 to ship a 8x8x8 box to New York. I stupidly thought it would be $60 and just ate the difference since I already told the guy it was $60.

The link for the FedEx discounts doesn't work anymore, does anyone know how to get cheaper FedEx rates that aren't as bad?

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a FedEx and you save about 20%. It's still expensive but helps. You also need some kind of scale but usually for overnight they go by size of box more then weight. I think they allow like 8lb if the box is like 8x8x8. But the price doubles if the box is 8x10x12 so pack them tight.
The best way to get great prices is to friend someone with a business that sends a ton of overnight packages aka unique corals!! If they can ship overnight for like $28 you know there fed ex rep hooks them up. Even if they charged $10 and sold you a shipping label they could make a small fortune! Just from the r2r community and would transform reefing in general.
It's no fun having to pay $120 to ship for a trade but that's what we have to do!!

Back