How to start new tank with macro?

WhiteRaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have you successfully started a new tank with macro? I've been looking at triton and macro with two part.

I want to start macro with light in sump for a while before turning display tank lights. This seems like it would fight off the ugly algae stage. But I've heard it can be hard to get macro to take with a new tank. For example the brs ulm tanks had trouble starting with macro.

For those with success, how have you done this?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When macro grows, it’s composition of major nutrients nitrogen to phosphorous ratio is 30:1. Macro gets its carbon from carbon dioxide via bicarbonate alkalinity. Either fed fish as a source of nutrients or add nitrogen. The LPS you have chosen would favor a high nutrient tank. I would not consider Elagance Coral as a starter option. It is more demanding than your other choices.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Phytoplankton can help cycle the tank and takeup some pest nutrients that can compete with nuisance algae. We typically recommending waiting a little before starting a new tank with macroalgae. Once you get your first fish in there, you are good to go.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like it would fight off the ugly algae stage.
Most tanks go through ugly stages. Common diatoms are considered ugly but short lived. I wouldnt necessarily be afraid of what might grow but as long as you don't over feed or over filtrate the tank with chemical medias, the ugly stages should be limited.

OP
OP
W

WhiteRaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phytoplankton can help cycle the tank and takeup some pest nutrients that can compete with nuisance algae. We typically recommending waiting a little before starting a new tank with macroalgae. Once you get your first fish in there, you are good to go.
I hadn't heard that about phytoplankton helping the cycle. Good to know. Do you have any links to articles about that?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have you successfully started a new tank with macro? I've been looking at triton and macro with two part.

I want to start macro with light in sump for a while before turning display tank lights. This seems like it would fight off the ugly algae stage. But I've heard it can be hard to get macro to take with a new tank. For example the brs ulm tanks had trouble starting with macro.

For those with success, how have you done this?

Consider slow growing macro to cycle your tank. John Mahoney at Reefcleaners calls them “pulse growers”.

https://www.reefcleaners.org/stocking-the-sump-refugium

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back