How to stick gsp to back glass ?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,hope all is well.

Ok stuck 4 pieces of gsp to back glass and back overflow.the over flow is plastic and no problem at all with that but either side of this i glued 2 pieces each side and they keep falling off and have to keep picking up and try again,anyone know of trick to make it glue and stay on the glass?
I used gel first few times and tried the thin glue this morning but after few hours they fall off.
Its correct glue cyanoacrylite and used algae scraper literally seconds before i try to attach it to make surface clean as possible, ive read lots lots threads over past few months and just says clean glass and glue back of frag and attach and read a few posts saying didnt glue but seen no tip.
I know i can put the rock that the gsp is on leaning up against the glass and will attach itself as it grows up towards the light .
I have left water in tank to glue but thinking should i be emptying water out to below where want to glue it so glue sets out water,think this is best way ?
My tank is 300 litres so if want glue it 3/ 4 way down i would need drain 225 litres which is 60 gallons,think i may just be able to siphon water in 2 large buckets i got but maybe only hold 40 gallons between them and want to attach gsp at different heights but some quite low.
Think i need to glue gsp frag to a small frag plug without the stem or to a small rock then glue rock to glass ?

Btw when trying to get gsp that has glue on it to back glass im holding it for around 30 seconds, and looks like got bit glue on the polyps as think put to much glue and as applied pressure it came out sides and onlt fingers pffft but each frag got from 10- 20 polyps so if one or two dont open fair enough

20210704_211502.jpg 20210704_211506.jpg 20210704_211511.jpg 20210705_101113.jpg 20210705_141706.jpg 20210705_141721.jpg 20210705_101246.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have left water in tank to glue but thinking should i be emptying water out to below where want to glue it so glue sets out water,think this is best way ?
If you are having issues with the glue staying, empty water below where you want to place the frags. Dry the glass the glue will stick better. It will give you more control as well.

If there is residue from previous attempts, it could help attach the frags while under water.
Other than that, I don't know what else will help keep them in place.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having issues with the glue staying, empty water below where you want to place the frags. Dry the glass the glue will stick better. It will give you more control as well.

If there is residue from previous attempts, it could help attach the frags while under water.
Other than that, I don't know what else will help keep them in place.

Yeah im thinking this probably best to drain tank down and glue out water.what ive done for time being is put 2 of them what keep falling off onto the overflow but close to glass and will have to wait longer till grows onto glass but got feeling once gsp opens ( opened after put in tank but then next day gently blew off crud and toothbrush over them so last 2 days closed as annoyed them i guess and getting used to tank idk) and it will want to grow up towards light and only slowly grow sideways but we shall see..
Im thinking to buy a largish rubbermaid bin for mixing salt so maybe will have to wait till i buy that and drain tank down and attach,the mrs thinks i have killed the gsp by rubbing it gently with toothbrush,ive told her that read 100's of threads saying gsp is indestructable and survives nearly everything so doubt toothbrush kill it.
Anyway thanks for reply

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GL to you, you can use tweezers to help remove glue as well. You aren't really hurting it with a toothbrush. As long as the skin isn't being dug into. Infection could take place at that point.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and Yeah used some long tweezers from my planted tank to remove some the dry glue on frags after it fell and before try re-attached.
Im sure in time i work something out.for time being just stuck most on plastic overflow as you can see in picture bottom 4 stuck to overflow first time no problem but top 2 can see so much glue at edges.must of glued and fell off 3 times each or more lol.thought by leaving glue on would be helpfull but its the glass thats having trouble to stick to.i may just try get little rock pebble and glue gsp to this and then glue rock to glass or just leave as it is and just wait longer as going take year anyway to grow how i want it minimum i think.
But main thing is for the gsp to open lol before mrs gets proved right and i killed it but very much doubt it ^_^

Attachments

• 20210705_153827.jpg
    20210705_153827.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one question if i may mibu.
See where i cleaned back glass of algae,im only like 5 months into tank so still in algae cycles ( ugly stages) ovbiously that algae going grow back there,so you think gsp as it encusts and mat develops more onto overflow, you think it can actually attach and not peel over on itself with its own weight as gets so big if get what i mean?
Im due to get some more cuc in next 2 weeks i think to try help with glass cleaning as so far just adding bit by bit as needed.
6 trochus snails
6 nas snails
2 large conchs
11 mini hermits
3 red legged scarlet hermits ( very lazy)
2 tuxedo urchins
So will get handfull of blue legged hermits and another few trouchus snails shortly

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe glue it to a flat frag plug then glue the frag disk to the back? You’ll have a good flat surface area to get to stick. Will grow over it anyway.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe glue it to a flat frag plug then glue the frag disk to the back? You’ll have a good flat surface area to get to stick. Will grow over it anyway.

Yeah thought doing this,didnt want to do at first as be a bump in it but dont think it stick out that much really.ive still got 2 pieces on right side glass at back that been glued on 2 times so far,if fall off again will pull off all glue and glue to frag plug or even a small rock to try.if not i think best course action will be drain tank half way down and glue and wait to dry for say 10 minutes then pump water back in,just will struggle for somewhere to keep so much water is only problem but thanks for suggestion ^_^

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glue mine using a small suction cup, stick the gsp on it and put it where you want once it grows on the glass you can cut out the suction cup and put it somewhere else where you want it to grow

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what i actually hunted out 3 suction cups last night and said to mrs that if doesnt stick on its own i will glue to suction cup then stick on glass but forgot conpletely all about it when made this thread,thanks for reminder ^_^

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just one question if i may mibu.
See where i cleaned back glass of algae,im only like 5 months into tank so still in algae cycles ( ugly stages) ovbiously that algae going grow back there,so you think gsp as it encusts and mat develops more onto overflow, you think it can actually attach and not peel over on itself with its own weight as gets so big if get what i mean?
Im due to get some more cuc in next 2 weeks i think to try help with glass cleaning as so far just adding bit by bit as needed.
Sorry for the late reply.
When the GSP grows over algae, the algae will die and will form gas bubbles which will loosen the gsp mat.
The cleanup crew you mention will easily handle and care for your glass. GSP growing on glass or overflow, you will be able to peel off whatever you don't want with a scraper blade. You obviously wont want it to grow into the overflow. It could cause issues.
You'll be able to control it's growth very easy on the glass. No need to worry there.

Like you said before, it will grow more toward to light. It will still grow in every direction. But to the light is more favorable.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah had feeling wouldnt do to well trying grow on top algae,
Will increase cuc by time it starts to grow and will clean around it now and then so algae doesnt get to big and yeah will trim it when gets to like 1 inch from overflow so always couple weeks to a month time to trim again.
Thanks very much

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back