How to stock to get as close to an ecosystem as possible ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to convert my 48 x 18 X 20 high 75 gallons freshwater tank to saltwater and I’ve started doing research on how to stock.

What’s really important to me is to get fish and inverts that will achieve stability in the tank but I don’t have enough knowledge of marine inhabitants yet to do so. I know there are fish and inverts who will eat algae, diatoms and parasites but which to choose ? So I thought I’d ask people with experience.

This will be a reef tank, so everyone has to be coral friendly.

Here is what I have in my Fluval EVO that will get transferred when the 75 gallons is ready :

- 2 oscellaris clowns
- 1 tailspot blenny
- 1 trochus snail
- 3 cerith snails
- 1 nassarius snail

Here is what I found that would be good looking fish with a purpose :
- Six- line wrasse ( eats parasites)
- Tomini tang (eats algae and is a scavenger)

What I find beautiful and would consider getting
- Royal gramma
- Purple dottyback
- Pajama cardinal
- Blue or green Mandarin goby (too difficult ?)
- Watchman goby and shrimp
- Azure damzel

I figure maybe 10 fish total ? And keep room for 2 more for later ?

How many inverts and which ones ?

Thank you !

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could certainly have a mandarin after your tank has been established for a bit. That being said the Azure Damsels and six lines are absolute jerks. Royal grammas and purple dottybacks can be quite aggressive as well, so should be added last.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m coming back to this thread, as it hasn’t had a lot of answers.

Looks aside, what fish do you consider a necessity in a reef tank ?

What fish should every reef tank have because of what they can do to help the tank stay clean and free of parasites ?

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into a bristletooth tang of some sort (the entire Ctenochaetus genus) for a centerpiece fish. Great at algae control, the smallest tang genus (will be fine fully grown in a 75), and beautiful.

Also, maybe a pink streaked wrasse instead of the six line? Should be much more peaceful, but still good at pest control.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m coming back to this thread, as it hasn’t had a lot of answers.

Looks aside, what fish do you consider a necessity in a reef tank ?

What fish should every reef tank have because of what they can do to help the tank stay clean and free of parasites ?
I have a 90. So close in size. I would highly recommend a tang, Kole or Bristletooth as mentioned.
I will simply mention my consistent stock over the years 25 of them.
Fish
Yellow Tang 18 years old
2 Pygmy Angels, 5 years, and 8 months the other.
Clown 18 years old
Three stripe Damsel 18 years old
Thats it, because the size factor is big. With your list of 10, its likely doable but I would stick with maybe 7 or 8 if you add the Tang? I'm super careful about adding fish, inverts not so much.

Inverts / Clean up crew

Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber ( my prized workhorse member 15 years)
Strawberry Conch
Brittle Star
Sand sifting Star
4 Trochus snails (on average all crabs and snails following)
6 astrea Snails
6 blue leg and 6 red leg hermits
Pincushion urchin
Short spine black urchin
Coral Banded Shrimp

Corals are a mix of softies mostly and a few LPS/ SPS. Big LTA Nem

My clean up crew is large as I run no skimmer , sump or cannister, although I used to and had almost same amount. Hope this helps. CUC is imo the most important part of this crazy reef equation. In a 75, if its reasonably mature, you've got room to add. None of mine have ever bothered my corals.

Be well, and happy reefing.

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts- variety is the spice of life.
definitely some nassarius and Florida Cerith, dwarf cerith, Astraea, Trochus. You can go to reefcleaners.com tell them everything about your tank, and they will recommend what type and how many dependent on size and what you have currently in your tank, and what types of algae’s are present.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts- variety is the spice of life.
definitely some nassarius and Florida Cerith, dwarf cerith, Astraea, Trochus. You can go to reefcleaners.com tell them everything about your tank, and they will recommend what type and how many dependent on size and what you have currently in your tank, and what types of algae’s are present.
Agreed, my inverts are literally the lifeblood of my tank. I might add a couple hermits or snails every few years just to keep pace with any die off, and the big ones for me are the Conch, cucumber, serpent or brittle star and urchins. They've been around long term. And steer clear of my corals. I'd say on those go slow, maybe get two of the 4 big ones listed to start. You would likely agree lol
One Conch and a brittle star would do wonders imo. Then go from there

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi if wanting suggestions.
I have never had a six line so cant comment on that but what about a yellow or silver belly coris wrasse,they are the brighest yellow ive ever seen and my silver belly coris wrasse constantly looking on the rocks and base of corals for bugs/pests/anything,and very active.
I have a coral beauty for few months so far so early days ( i got cb as read be safest dwarf angel with corals) so far he not eating lps,pobo,totches/softies/toadstools,zoas,paly's/gsp etc.and very active eating algae from rocks/glass,
Yellow watch man goby and tiger pistol shrimp dont see often but at feeding time ywg knows and comes to entrance of a rock i hollowed out for them and gets food and very intetesting to watch them and shrimp keeps that side of tank sand super clean,

For cuc just stock as needed when your tank tells you that need more
After say 6- 12 months a good stocking list in a 75 g may look like......
2 tuxedo urchins ( workhorses)
5 red legged hermits.
5 blue legs hermits ( i never had these)
2 cleaner shrimp just because they look cool ( but they annoy me sometimes as steal food from corals lol )
Assortmemt of other mini hermits say 10- 15.
8-10 trouchous snails.
8-10 nassariuous snails as help turn sand bed over ( mine are mainly under sandbed all day and come out at night) for first few months i got them when i fed tank they smell food and rose from the sand,which cool to watch.
2 conchs ( help aerate and keeo clean the sand bed)
This cuc members above juat rough guide,your tank may need more or may need less, just watch and see what your tank is telling you,but biggest cuc member = yourself,but personally i keep in mind imo its better keeping hands out tank much you can,it stresses them out and stuff on our hands etc.
I also have a copperband butterfly fish which is absolutely beautiful ,i got put off for years whilst researching this fish as how finnicky eater it is,how shy it is and the likes,but with my fish i found it relatively easy feeding it clams,oysters,scallops,mussels and i keep saying will start white worm culture but haven't yet lol.
And getting cbb has slowly got me off feeding pellets/frozen- bit of frozen but mainly shell fish which i get told is much better for our fishy friends. But research this fish and every fish you plan to get and after researched lots and you confident you can keep it in good health by food/sleep quarters/caves/plenty live rocks/pods/sand or whatever that certain fish needs then can go ahead and try,but if its a fish that everyone or most fail to keep longterm then i decide will not try.
I have a bi colour blennie also ,( at first my tailspot was jerk towards him for first 4- 5 days) but now eat algae from rocks together sometimes or chill next to each other. on rocks

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are fish and inverts who will eat algae, diatoms and parasites but which to choose ? So I thought I’d ask people with experience.
There certainly are creatures that will eat these things but that works well in the sea where there are unlimited creatures and most of them are big. In a tank you can't rely on those creatures to do that kind of maintenance.

There are many other ways to accomplish that but you will get so many opinions that it is hard to put it into words in this short post.

You have multitudes of reading to do as to how you want to do this and which system you want to do.
A reef tank should be a thriving eco system and while mine is, it took many years to accomplish that goal.

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, my inverts are literally the lifeblood of my tank. I might add a couple hermits or snails every few years just to keep pace with any die off, and the big ones for me are the Conch, cucumber, serpent or brittle star and urchins. They've been around long term. And steer clear of my corals. I'd say on those go slow, maybe get two of the 4 big ones listed to start. You would likely agree lol
One Conch and a brittle star would do wonders imo. Then go from there
I do agree. I have smaller tanks and want a conch but don’t know if it would have enough food. That’s why I go with the ceriths. Haven’t had a brittle star either, waiting for my tank to mature a little bit more and if the snails aren’t doing enough I will definitely be getting a star.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Azure damsel and he’s one of the most peaceful fish in my tank, so YMMV (your mileage may vary). My Black Neon dottyback is also an awesome fish. Cleaner wrasse is a hit with all the other fish! I’m not necessarily a big fan of the Royal grammas, mainly because they tend to just disappear into a cave for weeks on end.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blenny are one of my fav algae eaters .

As for the mandarin , it might be a little further down the road before he’s added .
I’d suggest a kole tang , foxface , yellow wrasse

ive always liked the cleaner wrasse but they never seam to last long ( possibly run out of parasites to eat ?

cleaner shrimp , brittle starfish , hermits and a few Mexican turbo snails ( they are huge in size but work amazing !

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of wonderful information, thank you everyone ! I will keep coming back to this thread when the time comes.

My clean up crew is large as I run no skimmer , sump or cannister, although I used to and had almost same amount.

What do you run in the tank for filtration / water polishing? Just live rock and power heads ?

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of wonderful information, thank you everyone ! I will keep coming back to this thread when the time comes.

What do you run in the tank for filtration / water polishing? Just live rock and power heads ?
Yep, several hydors, two small Jebao wavemakers, Aquaclear powerhead with floss, UV with small filter, and a small HOB aquaclear for oxygenation, that I can put a bit more filtration or carbon if I need it although I haven't needed the carbon for a number of years.
The rock is really mature, bout 25 years, it does the bulk of the work.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want good diversity, go with some cured live rock or some of the live rock sold by KP Aquatics or GulfLiveRock or similar. It comes with great diversity. Also, a conch in your tank would be fine. I have smaller varieties and they are great! There are many small varieties.

Kole tangs are my favorite, but most small bristletooths are fine. Yellow coris wrasses are great and colorful. Damsels are not bad if you have the right environment for them. I always have them in my tanks. Azure especially. I also love talbots a lot.

Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back