How to store a used tank and filter

Manny97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone hope that you are all well. I'm new to the fish keeping hobby. I've just bought a second hand 260 L fluval tank which has the following equipment
Fluval 306 canister filter
Fx4 filter
UV water filter
Im doing some renovation work on my property. So I won't be able to set up the tank just now. Im planning on setting it up in the next couple of months. Maybe even end of this year. Or whenever the work has been finished.
I have got a safe place to store the tank. Away from direct sunlight. I wanted to ask how should I go about cleaning the filters and other equipment? Like am I able to use tapwater to clean them. The tank was originally used as a tropical setup. Im looking to set it up as a saltwater tank. I will get other equipment such as heaters skimmers etc when I'm ready to setup
I have researched on how to clean the tank with vingear etc.

Thank You
Regards
Manny

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would store it somewhere out of the way until you need it. When you need it, clean everything with regular water and wipe it down with paper towels or clean rags. If there is ”gunk” on items, then you can use vinegar. I store quarantine tanks for months and sometimes years with no problems.

Upvote 0

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone hope that you are all well. I'm new to the fish keeping hobby. I've just bought a second hand 260 L fluval tank which has the following equipment
Fluval 306 canister filter
Fx4 filter
UV water filter
Im doing some renovation work on my property. So I won't be able to set up the tank just now. Im planning on setting it up in the next couple of months. Maybe even end of this year. Or whenever the work has been finished.
I have got a safe place to store the tank. Away from direct sunlight. I wanted to ask how should I go about cleaning the filters and other equipment? Like am I able to use tapwater to clean them. The tank was originally used as a tropical setup. Im looking to set it up as a saltwater tank. I will get other equipment such as heaters skimmers etc when I'm ready to setup
I have researched on how to clean the tank with vingear etc.

Thank You
Regards
Manny
Hey Manny. Welcome to R2R by the way. I saw the PM but am having some computer issues while traveling.

But, yes you can run your tank without a sump. Although, I do think in the future, you will want one. But you can worry about that on your next tank.

I think you should start your tank with less equipment than you have. All you really need is some rock and sand (both made for saltwater tanks), a heater, and some good powerheads for lots of internal flow and some biospira for bacteria. I would skip the UV and filters for now. I don’t know about your fluval lights, but I suspect they won’t work for corals but would be fine for fish. The good news for lighting is you can buy LEDs on amazon pretty cheaply that will grow almost any coral (Mars aqua and viparspectra come to mind).

The next thing I’m about to tell you is the main problem that you probably will have to learn the hard way but hopefully you won’t...You will want a quarantine tank too. A small 10 gallon tank will suffice but it will make your reefing a lot more successful. There’s lots of info in R2R on how to quarantine. But reach out if I can help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Manny97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Manny. Welcome to R2R by the way. I saw the PM but am having some computer issues while traveling.

But, yes you can run your tank without a sump. Although, I do think in the future, you will want one. But you can worry about that on your next tank.

I think you should start your tank with less equipment than you have. All you really need is some rock and sand (both made for saltwater tanks), a heater, and some good powerheads for lots of internal flow and some biospira for bacteria. I would skip the UV and filters for now. I don’t know about your fluval lights, but I suspect they won’t work for corals but would be fine for fish. The good news for lighting is you can buy LEDs on amazon pretty cheaply that will grow almost any coral (Mars aqua and viparspectra come to mind).

The next thing I’m about to tell you is the main problem that you probably will have to learn the hard way but hopefully you won’t...You will want a quarantine tank too. A small 10 gallon tank will suffice but it will make your reefing a lot more successful. There’s lots of info in R2R on how to quarantine. But reach out if I can help.
Thank Youu soo much for the message. Has helped me a lot. Awesome. I will definitely get a quarantine tank. Will a Normal hang on the back filter be ok with the qauratine tank. which equipment should I get with it. And you mentioned about using less equipment on my main tank . Which external filter should I stick with on my main tank. I will be growing corals hopefully and have a community tank. Also when my tank is cycled or once I set it up when shall I put in a cleaning crew in. I was thinking of using dry sand and dry rock then oppose to live. As I know with live you can get some harmful bacteria as well on it. Then using Dr tims bacteria products to introduce live bacteria.

Upvote 0

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t need any external filter if you use rocks and sand. This is lengthy but has good stuff

I would set up quarantine tank like this:

Treat like this

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Manny97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t need any external filter if you use rocks and sand. This is lengthy but has good stuff

I would set up quarantine tank like this:

Treat like this
Thank You soo much for the reply. Had a read through it all. Very informative man. Think im definitely ready haha. I also had one more question. Once ive cycled my tank etc. I want to grow corals. Ive been researching into getting powerheads/wavemakers. I was looking at getting the nero 5 wavemaker. I wanted to ask what was the best setting to put it on. And will 1 powerhead be enough for my 260 L tank

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back