How to take apart an Ice Cap 2k Gyre

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pump didnt last long before taking a crap. I want to take it apart and clean it. I have no idea how to take it apart. I have scoured the the web and am not finding any info. HELP!!!
!
IMG_0441.JPG.jpeg

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try a long hot soak in Citrus Acid to see whether anything inside loosens?
It was clean inside and spins freely. I did soak in vinegar for 30 minutes and it didnt help. It doesnt even run without the cages and propellers. I am thinking I will replace it with a Jebao SCP.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was clean inside and spins freely. I did soak in vinegar for 30 minutes and it didnt help. It doesnt even run without the cages and propellers. I am thinking I will replace it with a Jebao SCP.
Its not a good idea to use vinegar for longer than 2 minutes. Vinegar dries out rubber parts, which makes them crack, and then the machine is no longer waterproof and gets ruined. Not saying thats what broke your machine, its just a polite FYI. Actually, i just bought and installed my own icecap gyre 2k this week on Tuesday, so your thread really has me worried that I might have made a mistake

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about those specific gyres but I'd think there just as good a chance that it was the controller not supplying power to the pump motor.

I've used two of the jebao scp-150 for a few years now without any issues.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about those specific gyres but I'd think there just as good a chance that it was the controller not supplying power to the pump motor.

I've used two of the jebao scp-150 for a few years now without any issues.
Great idea! I just swapped it with a 2k on a different controller - still DOA

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back