OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did for several years. The biggest issue is that when they get big, the will start to fight, so I would go with one blacktip.
Interesting, I would think that more will cause a decrease in aggression. Would they fight at full maturity?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Public aquarium. When they get big they just need more space.

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Public aquarium. When they get big they just need more space.
Yes, the question is how big of a tank? What's the shark per gallon? This thread is really humbling because it's hard to get the general numbers. I must find a experienced caretaker of these animals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
reach out to Bill Wann who actually has a pool /pond type of setup.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jpimienta91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly there is no right answer. Many years back I had a baby black tip for some time. Easiest shark to take care of. The right answer depends on how deep the customers pockets are. Bigger is better, good luck awesome shark to have but I don’t see anyone capable of handling a full grown one. Leopard sharks are cool and easier IMO. Smooth hound shark is another one.

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I sent him an email on Sept. 19th asking how he designed the protein skimmer and he never replied. Maybe it went to his spam. Or he's just super busy because he runs two companies. I don't want to bother him.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the question is how big of a tank? What's the shark per gallon? This thread is really humbling because it's hard to get the general numbers. I must find a experienced caretaker of these animals

That is like asking how big a tank to tangs need - that changes as they get bigger, but unlike a tang, rehoming is much harder. Our tank was 32k, fine for the first 3 years, then we started getting aggression, we spent 2-3 years rehoming them, and did not replace them.
I don't think anyone is going to give you general numbers because these are not 'general' animals, and it is much more important to think of their entire lives than it is for most reef fish because of their specialized needs. They live a long time, get big, and eat a lot - EDIT and are/can be dangerous to people. Generally people getting them for personal tanks ends up being a disaster for the animal.

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly there is no right answer. Many years back I had a baby black tip for some time. Easiest shark to take care of. The right answer depends on how deep the customers pockets are. Bigger is better, good luck awesome shark to have but I don’t see anyone capable of handling a full grown one. Leopard sharks are cool and easier IMO. Smooth hound shark is another one.
What did your set up looked like for the shark species you kept? and Thank you!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I sent him an email on Sept. 19th asking how he designed the protein skimmer and he never replied. Maybe it went to his spam. Or he's just super busy because he runs two companies. I don't want to bother him.
There are companies that make big skimmers. MRC is one of them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's something to consider. Maybe I am fantasizing about the idea of raising a shark to maturity rather than taking account of the undertaking of having to care for it. My purpose for building ponds is to give an opportunity for people to escape and be lost in the movements of fish. Also, give the opportunity for those who love and respect the animals to care for them and have experiences that very few people get to have. And I don't know how to conceptualize it, but it's also satisfying the little kid inside all of us. The ones where you look into the public aquarium and get a snapshot of a different world.

For me, I must admit I love big things. Especially big animals. I'll take a big dog over a little one any day. And i think the same one applies to fish. My goal when I would go fishing is to get the biggest fish. Because I'm just amazed by them as creatures, and it's just magnified when they're larger. Nano's are cute, but I can't see their tails sweep across the water, I cant observe it gliding through the water. It's hard to explain.

Why do you think they're not that cracked up to be?. I agree if it's in the conditions of a small tank. They're anxious, moving around and around, darting back and forth. It's nerve-racking for me.
Many large aquariums keep sharks - I would contact one of them for information.

Jpimienta91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t offer any valuable advice as I didn’t have the right environment for it, definitely following this thread tho as I love your idea

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are companies that make big skimmers. MRC is one of them.
Maybe I should partner with Bill or MRC to see how they would approach building a pond. It would be in their benefit as that means they could sell more filters. Definitely something ot thinks about.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should partner with Bill or MRC to see how they would approach building a pond. It would be in their benefit as that means they could sell more filters. Definitely something ot thinks about.
I think it would be in their benefit if you paid them! :D

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 127 59.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.4%
Back