How to Take Care of a Blacktip Shark

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean?

Just that paying them for their time and expertise is good. Seems like there's a current trend to offer shout outs, social media posts, or other "exposure" in lieu of actual payment.

Just a joke, I see where you agreed with Thales :)

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just that paying them for their time and expertise is good. Seems like there's a current trend to offer shout outs, social media posts, or other "exposure" in lieu of actual payment.

Just a joke, I see where you agreed with Thales :)
OHHHHH yeah no you're right. It really only applies to social media and that's it. And only if you have a huge following

ProfessorAronnax

Conscientious Marine Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want a large predatory shark as a pet then go get enrolled into a biology program with emphasis on husbandry/ichthiology/environmental science. When I worked the aquarium of the Smokeys I learned just how fragile they are. Water quality has to be 100% perfect at all times, no swings PERIOD. The cost of food alone is going to run $1k plus per year and that isnt even taking into account vitamins and antibiotics. Black tips are highly susceptible to a myriad of diseases, many of which can only be identified in a laboratory. If you must have a shark species- I would encourage you to look at members of the Hemiscyllidae family.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry everyone but because of my ignorance, I did not know that there are two different types of blacktip sharks. The Atlantic Blacktip and the Blacktip Reef. Since I'm now also aware that the Blacktip reef is the common one kept in aquariums, this is the one I mean to build a pond for. I'm so sorry for any confusion.

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want a large predatory shark as a pet then go get enrolled into a biology program with emphasis on husbandry/ichthiology/environmental science. When I worked the aquarium of the Smokeys I learned just how fragile they are. Water quality has to be 100% perfect at all times, no swings PERIOD. The cost of food alone is going to run $1k plus per year and that isnt even taking into account vitamins and antibiotics. Black tips are highly susceptible to a myriad of diseases, many of which can only be identified in a laboratory. If you must have a shark species- I would encourage you to look at members of the Hemiscyllidae family.
I'm sorry I realized that I meant a blacktip reef shark. Are you still talking about those?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just stick with Dogfish. They would do much better longterm and are much more realistic to build a suitable pond for.

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn’t much help but I know there is a guy in Los Angeles that has like a private 750,000 gallon tank with a few black tips. Unfortunately I have no way of getting into contact with him. Maybe reach out to Unique Corals and see if the owner Joe Caparatta has any info or resources for you.

Super cool idea though, it’s something I grew up thinking about it and was what originally got me into this hobby back when I was 12. I soon realized that I didn’t have $1M+ for a shark tank so I got a nano reef which as a kid I still couldn’t really afford haha.

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn’t much help but I know there is a guy in Los Angeles that has like a private 750,000 gallon tank with a few black tips. Unfortunately I have no way of getting into contact with him. Maybe reach out to Unique Corals and see if the owner Joe Caparatta has any info or resources for you.

Super cool idea though, it’s something I grew up thinking about it and was what originally got me into this hobby back when I was 12. I soon realized that I didn’t have $1M+ for a shark tank so I got a nano reef which as a kid I still couldn’t really afford haha.
Thanks! I'm currently reading up the book they gave me. It's a doozy. That's probably when I'll talk to some experts. Once I've gotten the basic understanding down. And I want all the ponds that I design and build to be more accessible! I'm not trying to build things for the ultra-rich. I want to make this as "affordable" as I can.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this topic very interesting, but don't have anything to add about the care. I did have a question though. Based on this thread it seems these sharks need a lot of flow. In a pond setting with significant flow would you really be able to see the sharks from an aerial view? Wouldn't the high flow make the water very choppy for viewing? We're you planning or able to add side viewing panels.

Back