How to take care of clams

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting a clam for a wile now but not sure how to take care of one. I have a 13g tank so I was gonna get a small clam (about 2 inches) to start with. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting a clam for a wile now but not sure how to take care of one. I have a 13g tank so I was gonna get a small clam (about 2 inches) to start with. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

@DSC reef should be able to help. Sure there are a few others but was a late night and my brains a bit foggy on who has clams lol.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a very small tank to keep a clam in, you would need to keep a very tight eye on water parameters. I would be much easier to have a clam in a larger, stable established system.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters will be stable now, when a clam starts to grow it can bottom things out fast. I think a maxima is the only one that would likely fit long term, without much else in the tank. What light do you have? I have a maxima in my tank, nearing a year now, cultured one from PEA. I would def go this route, wild/mariculture you risk getting pyramid snails or other parasites, like my first one succumbed to. They will suck up nitrates, and calcium. In such a small tank you'll need to be sure to test frequently.

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters will be stable now, when a clam starts to grow it can bottom things out fast. I think a maxima is the only one that would likely fit long term, without much else in the tank. What light do you have? I have a maxima in my tank, nearing a year now, cultured one from PEA. I would def go this route, wild/mariculture you risk getting pyramid snails or other parasites, like my first one succumbed to. They will suck up nitrates, and calcium. In such a small tank you'll need to be sure to test frequently.
My calcium has been holding from 495 to 510. I have the new AI 16HDReef light.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think a small one would. Like I said he will only be 2 inches long. But then again I don't know much about them lol how do you feed them? Do you just dose the tank with phytoplankton and that's it?
You can dose live phytoplankton, I prefer reef nutrition but tridacna does not need fed to survive. They can get all their carbon energy from light. They also have pinocytosing microvillous epidermal cells that pull ammonia/phosphorus from the water column so I always recommend having some bioload, zero nutrients is not a good environment for tridacna.

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose live phytoplankton, I prefer reef nutrition but tridacna does not need fed to survive. They can get all their carbon energy from light. They also have pinocytosing microvillous epidermal cells that pull ammonia/phosphorus from the water column so I always recommend having some bioload, zero nutrients is not a good environment for tridacna.
So tridacna needs ammonia to live?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have some nice ones but the price is high. Ive been looking on algea barn
Getting a healthy clam is very important and Dr. Mac with Pacific east knows about tridacna and has some of the best I've seen. IMO, don't let price persuade you in choosing a healthy tridacna.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back