How to take corals home? Can they board a plane?

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire family has been bitten by the reefing bug. It has been something that keeps our family close, even though we live on opposite coastlines.
My mom will be visiting in the next couple weeks. She is coming to California, from Pennsylvania. While here she was hoping to take a couple of frags from my collection back to the family aquarium in Pennsylvania. The question is, how do we go about this? Can they go in a carry-on bag if the fluid in each bag is under the 3oz max? If not through a carry-on bag, can they be packed in the checked luggage?
For safety precautions we plan to pack them in a typical shipping manor with a Styrofoam container and heat-pack.
Hopefully someone has already gone through this and can share their experiences, or someone works for an airline and can give more insight on the topic! Thanks in advance!

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taken coral on a plane multiple times in carry-on no problems. Just explained to TSA what it was and off I went with no hassle.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So does my family! From multiple experiences just save the headaches and pack in a checked luggage well marked that says live specimen or coral. Pack like you are going to ship in the mail, well sealed, heat pack, styrofoam like you said.

Per TSA the only live animal in water you can bring on is a fish, something any TSA agent can see swimming and alive. All TSA agents don't know what a coral is and a brown lump in a vial of liquid will not convince them. This is what happened to my brother from Denver to Tucson. Luckily he was able to run to the sowthwest counter and check it in, and has done since then.

Many people have said carry on is fine, which I am sure works for some people on the right day with a trusting and not angry TSA agent. If you want it to go without a hitch, check it in. Good luck!

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you did this? And how did you pack it?

MACNA the last 2 years and again a few months ago when I was coming back from somewhere else and stopped in at a local store. TSA hates me (even though I have precheck) and I tend to get stopped almost every flight for some nonsense. Last time it was to much change in my backpack, but the corals they didn't care about at all. One time they put them through x-ray. Had them packed in small cups, same size as urinalysis cups at the Dr. I've had 2-12 with me and never a hassle. I know several other people who have done the same thing without the benefit of precheck and been okay.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not take corals in carry on luggage. I had this happen at the last MACNA. You will need to put them in your check in luggage.
I bought one of these coral frag systems for MACNA this year. [emoji3]

http://buildinganobsession.com/frag-transport-system/

I've done it the last 2 MACNA's and several other times. As with anything TSA they can make it a pain if they want. I saw multiple people go through TSA after MACNA last year and no issues carrying them on.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So does my family! From multiple experiences just save the headaches and pack in a checked luggage well marked that says live specimen or coral. Pack like you are going to ship in the mail, well sealed, heat pack, styrofoam like you said.

Per TSA the only live animal in water you can bring on is a fish, something any TSA agent can see swimming and alive. All TSA agents don't know what a coral is and a brown lump in a vial of liquid will not convince them. This is what happened to my brother from Denver to Tucson. Luckily he was able to run to the sowthwest counter and check it in, and has done since then.

Many people have said carry on is fine, which I am sure works for some people on the right day with a trusting and not angry TSA agent. If you want it to go without a hitch, check it in. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I guess we will have to pack them in the checked bag then, just to be safe.

You can not take corals in carry on luggage. I had this happen at the last MACNA. You will need to put them in your check in luggage.
I bought one of these coral frag systems for MACNA this year. [emoji3]

http://buildinganobsession.com/frag-transport-system/

That is a nifty little system! If/When I upgrade to a large tank this may have to become part of my travel supplies.

Docpayne82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to leave an even with 45 plus corals! I just don't think my wallet would care for it[emoji51]

coezy2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have the snorkeling and reef bug ! We go to the Keys every year now and catch and collect things for our tank! We just pack an extra checked bag with what we bring back and have never had any problems! Brought a cute little queen angel and a blue tang along with a clean up crew for my 150 that we caught ourselves. Just pack it well, we line the suitcase with beach towels or clothes and pack the bags in the middle.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of people getting a big water thermos and placing the coral inside it. So it cant get crushed and if the bag happens to pop the water will be contained in it. Then check it in with your bags. I wouldn't take the risk of puting it in a carry on. Hope all works out for you

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have the snorkeling and reef bug ! We go to the Keys every year now and catch and collect things for our tank! We just pack an extra checked bag with what we bring back and have never had any problems! Brought a cute little queen angel and a blue tang along with a clean up crew for my 150 that we caught ourselves. Just pack it well, we line the suitcase with beach towels or clothes and pack the bags in the middle.
Is this even legal? Sounds awesome, but do you have to get permits to do so?

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was this at the John penecamp (I can’t spell lol) park or somewhere farther south

VP616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this process with live fish, but I don't see why it would not apply to corals; technically since they are "live animals."

Check with the airline about shipping live animals as cargo. A lot of the vendors at MACNA shipped their livestock this way. I bought a styrofoam cooler from Wal-Mart before I came back. Also bought a bunch of the hand warmers used during snow season. Had the vendors triple bag the livestock in separate bags, put everything in the cooler, surrounded each bag with newspaper so it wouldn't move around, taped several hand warmers to the top of the cooler, and taped the entire cooler shut tight. Called the airline to "reserve" a space for a live animal in cargo and they tell you where to drop it off a couple hours before your flight. Airline cargo personnel will call you when you can pick up after you land. Picked up the cooler at the cargo delivery area for my airline at LAX; everything made it just fine.

bweltsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I plan to bring something home from MACNA this year myself I contacted TSA and asked them the question about carry-on coral. This is their reply: "Live coral is allowed in carry-on bags. The water needed to keep your coral alive must be 3.4 oz or less and the entire container must be packed into your liquids bag".
I myself recently brought about a dozen frags back from San Diego backed in a cardboard box, well taped, with a warmer, in my checked luggage. Everything made it fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back