How to take fish out of copper?

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've done this wrong before, this is why I'm asking. I've done 30 days in copper...do I yank them out and put them in a freshwater bath to make sure anything could be killed and then put them in the display? how does one do this the proper way? i think last time i did something to recontaminate them and they got ich... so, incase there is still ich in my tank i am transfering them out of, how does one do that?

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's right or wrong but I just start to do water changes to get the copper level down and plan on doing a drip again to get them back into my DT.

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've done this wrong before, this is why I'm asking. I've done 30 days in copper...do I yank them out and put them in a freshwater bath to make sure anything could be killed and then put them in the display? how does one do this the proper way? i think last time i did something to recontaminate them and they got ich... so, incase there is still ich in my tank i am transfering them out of, how does one do that?

30 days in copper at therapeutic levels should be enough to kill the ich. However, you need to leave the display tank fishless for 77 days to ensure that the ich has died out in the tank.

Which type of copper did you use? What level did you treat at? How did you test the copper level?

Has the display tank been fishless for 77 days?

OP
OP
mcpeachy

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days in copper at therapeutic levels should be enough to kill the ich. However, you need to leave the display tank fishless for 77 days to ensure that the ich has died out in the tank.

Which type of copper did you use? What level did you treat at? How did you test the copper level?

Has the display tank been fishless for 77 days?
yes, display tank was fallow for that period. i had a second display that got contaminated. the one they are going into was fallow. all the fish i've put in it since haven't gotten anything. i did copper power 30 days at 2.3 which is quite high, i know. how do i transfer them out? last time i lowered the copper slowly with display water and they just got ich again. i think i must have contaminated it somehow without realizing, but just incase, what do the people that only do 12 days of copper do?

OP
OP
mcpeachy

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's right or wrong but I just start to do water changes to get the copper level down and plan on doing a drip again to get them back into my DT.
i know you can only do that if you have done 30 days of copper...i must have done two weeks last time, come to think of it, then slowly reduced the copper down...therefor, giving them ich!

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, display tank was fallow for that period. i had a second display that got contaminated. the one they are going into was fallow. all the fish i've put in it since haven't gotten anything. i did copper power 30 days at 2.3 which is quite high, i know. how do i transfer them out? last time i lowered the copper slowly with display water and they just got ich again. i think i must have contaminated it somehow without realizing, but just incase, what do the people that only do 12 days of copper do?

I've only done it as part of a QT process after 14 days. I moved them to a new/sterile QT that was salinity and temp matched to the previous QT. I treated for other diseases and observed for a few weeks too.

Hopefully, someone with more experience chimes in

If the fallow DT is salinity and temp matched, you could probably just move them right to the DT. I would probably dip them in some DT water in a container to minimize the chance of introducing copper into the DT.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
After 30 days of copper at or above 2.0ppm, I usually do a series of large water changes ( 2-3) and carbon to get the copper level down to as close to zero.
Then I do 2 rounds of prazi pro just for good measure.
Then move them to the display, acclimating for 30-45 minutes

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back