how to take pictures of your corals (camera settings tutorial)

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't believe I never saw this thread before. Let see if I can't put this info to good use now. Thanks!

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info. I think the best thing I ever did was buy a good tripod. When you do use a tripod, don't use the neck extension either. It's not as stable

slugwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a canon t2i and following this post... Thank you.
Looking into getting 100mm macro lens with stabilization soon.

It would be nice to have three sticky post
Canon SLR/DSLR
Nikon SLR/DSLR
PS

Just for starters...

slugwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSLR Triangle

I started testing with the Shutter/FStop/ISO and made some interesting amature shots.
These are taken without a tripod and only testing for correct color under my lighting with several different sets of bulb configs. I did not record/document my settings, just having fun. Nothing was edited except the size of the photo mb to kb conversion.
Lights:
8 t-5's I need to buy new bulbs...

This is as close to color with all 4 Actinic lights on (Please remember this is for color correctness)
Next one is with 1 Actinic on
IMG_2349.jpg

Next couple is of the tang under 1 Actinic
IMG_2376.jpg
IMG_2377.jpg

Next one is Slow Shutter Speed and me moving the camera at the same time with all 8 t-5's on
IMG_2327.jpg
IMG_2330.jpg

Thanks for viewing

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great thread! All my lights are out now (naturally...I found this thread and can't try it out...:eek:hwell:), so I'll have to give it a go tomorrow. Has anyone (or can anyone) do something like this thread for Nikon cameras? I have a Nikon D40, but the operator is photographically challenged.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have lights over 10 or 12k, the camera's auto white balance simply isn't going to correct for the light. Also, using the sand or PVC as a reference is probably going to be worse than using the Auto WB or setting the WB to something like "Cloudy" - you really need to go out and spend the $10 on a quality optical white white balance card. The sand isn't pure white and the PVC or a sheet of printer paper is usually too reflective for most lights (especially LEDs).

White balancing isn't advanced at all - all you need to do is press the white balance button, or select the "custom" white balance setting from the menu. The next picture you take will be used to set the white balance. Simple put the card under the light, UNFOCUS the camera and lock the AF, then take a picture. Make sure you don't get any shadows. You are done - you can shoot to your hearts content and all your pictures will correct - NO need to play around with contrast or saturation in PS.

ALSO - most people use a UV filter on the end of their lens to protect it from scratches. Take this off when shooting your aquarium, especially if you have a cheap one.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jservedio, I feel the need to clarify your offering just a bit. There are two options for achieving the proper white balance and I've not seen any tank lights under which you can't get at least an acceptable white balance. Note that it's more trouble than it's worth to photograph coral or fish under pure actinic or under "blue" LEDs and then try to correct the white balance. Not because it can't be done, but because you're unnecessarily shooting in low light levels. Turn on every light you have. You'll get better photographs.

In terms of achieving the correct white balance, the best option is to shoot in the RAW format and correct the white balance in your photo-processing software. This will give the best results and provide maximum adjustment flexibility. Virtually all photo-processing software programs have a white balance tool, usually in the form of a dropper. Open your RAW file and move the dropper over an area that has a middle-gray tone to it. I always try to start with the darker form of coralline algae. Clicking on that usually gets the white balance very close. The neat thing about the white balance tool is that you can click anywhere in an image. If you don't like the result, try a different area. All of the programs have an As Shot option that returns you to the original. When you're happy with the white balance, complete your post processing, save the images as a jpg and you're good to go. The software should retain the correct white balance setting.

The other option for correcting white balance is to set a custom white balance. This is an option with any camera but is likely the only option for cameras that cannot shoot in the RAW format. First you have to read the manual to determine how to set a custom white balance. In most instances you navigate to the White Balance menu and choose Custom. Then you take a picture of something white. That tells the camera that when it sees that color (bluish-white in aquariums), make it white in the photograph. You do not need anything special for a white balance card. Usually a foam paper plate will do the job. In most instances this takes two people. Hold the plate or other white surface in the aquarium at the same angle as the slope of the rocks that hold the coral you want to photograph. Fill the camera frame with the white surface and hit the shutter button. That sets the custom white balance. From that point on, the white balance in your photos should be reasonably accurate. When you've finished photographing your corals, be sure to return your camera's menu to AWB or some other white balance setting. If you don't family pictures will have some rather strange colors.

Gary

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to the thread. The Tamron 90mm macro is an excellent budget macro lens. Just as sharp as the Canon and Nikon 100mm macros in PQ tests and less than half the price.

Lol just realized thread is 6 months old stupid tapatalk. Still good info for you budget dslr shoppers.

Last edited:

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to the thread. The Tamron 90mm macro is an excellent budget macro lens. Just as sharp as the Canon and Nikon 100mm macros in PQ tests and less than half the price.

Lol just realized thread is 6 months old stupid tapatalk. Still good info for you budget dslr shoppers.

I'll confirm this....been using a tampon 90mm for 2 years :D

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth it to buy the Tamron 90 macro with Vibration Control? Or will a regular Tamron macro with a tripod work just fine?

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread guys.

Can I buy a decent camera at best buy or should I go to a camera shop. I assume if I go to Best buy I will need to know what to buy because the people working there aren't as knowledgable as maybe the people at a camera store.

What is an entry level DSLR that I can buy that will take great pictures and not break the bank

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread guys.

Can I buy a decent camera at best buy or should I go to a camera shop. I assume if I go to Best buy I will need to know what to buy because the people working there aren't as knowledgable as maybe the people at a camera store.

What is an entry level DSLR that I can buy that will take great pictures and not break the bank

Different people will give you different opinions. Do as I did and read a ton online. buying a decent camera body is all you need. Most of your hard earned money will end up buying nice lenses.
I don't recommend buying at best buy. when I went there, nobody knew anything about the cameras. I would research as much as I can and either go to best buy already knowing what you want or buy online. ended up buying a Nikon DSLR from B&H online. they have a great selection of cameras and lenses. they also sell used items. Most items have reviews that you can read.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back