how to take pictures of your corals (camera settings tutorial)

Lielka

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ultrazoas.jpg
ultrazoas1.jpg

seancc317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get the coral colors come out under blue lights in pics? Is that all in the white balance and post-processing?

Lielka

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still practiced.Picture sare now made with hands, without a tripod

14913742213_1c0266c3e8_o (1).jpg
JL Flesh Zombie.jpg
JL Halloween.jpg
JL Predators.jpg
Euphyllia-1.jpg

14913742213_1c0266c3e8_o (1).jpg

JL Flesh Zombie.jpg

JL Halloween.jpg

JL Predators.jpg

Euphyllia-1.jpg

Last edited:

Lielka

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- All corals are photographed on a Canon 30D with Canon EF50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro
- Photocall held under fluorescent lamps firm ATI Actinic, AquaBlueSpecial and BluePlus. Less frequently under themetal halide lamp company Radium 20000k.

goniopora-2.jpg
Pink Auroras2.jpg
Pumping Xenia.jpg
turbinaria yellow-1.jpg
turbinaria-violet-3.jpg

Last edited:

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys./girls.

I bought gab a Nikon d3200 right now I'm rippingmy hair out so is she on what is best settings to capture pictures of our reef tank.

Anyone have Nikon and not cannon settings.?

Much helpful and what settings do you prefer titles photos of coral? And then your fish. I'm trying got no good photosonky a select frpew

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys./girls.

I bought gab a Nikon d3200 right now I'm rippingmy hair out so is she on what is best settings to capture pictures of our reef tank.

Anyone have Nikon and not cannon settings.?

Much helpful and what settings do you prefer titles photos of coral? And then your fish. I'm trying got no good photosonky a select frpew

I bought the 3300 so I'll learn from the responses

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to learn to use my camera.

I recently picked up a panasonic LX7. I can't seem to focus on any subject more tha 7" into the tank? Why?

Last edited:

elitegc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone post a regular picture, and post the same photo (after photoshop) and explain what the exact adjustments were made in Photoshop. I have beautiful corals, but the crappiest photos ever. I have a canon 70d and I bought extension tubes for macro shots? The camera has a built in 10k white balance setting, but my pictures still look like crap.

Or if I can send someone a pic in RAW format and see what you can do with it, that would be great...

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photographing reef aquariums with a phone puts you at the mercy of the phone's camera limitations. Two apps that I find valuable are Camera+, which I use instead of the built-in iPhone camera app; and Snapseed, which provides considerable photo manipulation capability.
Gary
Holy...just read this. Snapseed is pretty awesome. Thanks for the tip.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nikon D5200 with the 18-55mm lens and Micro Nikkor 40mm lense. I have a floor and tabletop tripod. I am old and my eyes are not the best at perceiving colors, not color blind but do not always see all the colors like others do :9( My hands shake pretty bad also. So, I have several questions:

1. should I buy a remote instead of trying to press the button? If yes, which one?

I would like to tank pictures of my tanks and, corals individually where those corals would have a black background. I have taken a few portraits but that's it. I would like to make some photo albums from my pics:0) This is a something I would like to leave for my children and grandchildren some day:0)

2. I read the entire thread but the camera settings have me going..."What does that mean?!" Can someone help me understand what I need to look for in the menu on my camera for ISO, RAW, Shutter speed, White Balance and anything else I might need to access? Do I go in to Reset Custom Settings?
3. Can someone give me a starting point for the manual settings? Is manual the same as Raw?
4. Do I need to use D-Lighting? All my tanks are lit with T5 lights.
5. Do I need to do anything with the Color Balance?
6. Filter Effects?
7. NEF(RAW) Processing?

(Note: I have never used anything like Photoshop so hopefully we won't have to go there!)

Does anyone take their coral out of the tank to shoot them? I would like to do this for individual shots like zoas/palys, Acans, Duncans, shrooms, etc. If you do,

8. How do you do it? Do you use a light or the flash?

I'm sure I will have more questions but these will help me get started. Thanks for any help you might give! :0)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back