How to take Pictures of your Corals with a Cellphone (Android or iPhone)

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm posting this because most, if not all the coral shots taken by hobbyists with their cellphone cameras stock app leave a LOT to be desired.... While there's a few of us who take the time to use a REAL camera and set white balance properly, the majority of us simply pull the phone out of our pockets and snap away... there's one problem with this:

they're usually WAY too blue!!... the reason is simple : the camera app that comes with our phone has NO IDEA what to do with the blue light coming from our aquarium lighting.

Simple solution: Use a third party camera app that lets you set the white balance manually, and max it out (usually 10,000k is the upper limit...) you'll be amazed how much better your photos look.

Here's an example:

Stock Camera App:
5dXTO4x.jpg

Third Party Camera App(with custom white balance set to 10,000k):
qsLHgBG.jpg

...pretty amazing difference isn't it? The ONLY difference in those two pictures was the app used to take the photo.

SO!... No more excuse for all those BLUEEE pictures!

Wondering which app to get? here's a solution for you Android or iPhone users:

If you have an Android phone this is what I use... it's free
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.camera

If you have an iPhone this should do the same thing, I have no direct experience with it though... it costs a few bucks, I can't seem to find an app that does the same thing for free on the App Store lol
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/camera+/id329670577?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

I hope this is helpful to some!!

favites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks QP! I download the app for the iPhone and played with it some today, was an definitely an improvement over my old pictures. Don't know the photography lingo but the program can 'neutralize' 8000 kelvin if that makes sense.
Mark

OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or just get a galaxy 6 and snap away ;)

IMO I don't think this is correct...Totally depends on your tanks lighting temperature.

I recently upgraded to the Nexus 6P which has an unbelievable camera which includes laser autofocus, 240fps video, etc... It's rated very closely to the S6. But this has nothing to do with hardware.

Simply put, its a software thing. I bet your S6 would take even better pictures if you used an app that gave you manual DSLR-like controls of individual settings.

Give it a shot... Nothing to lose.

PSA: People don't need to buy a new phone just to get pictures that aren't blue.

OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

...is this with the stock app or a custom one?

...As @favites mentioned he noticed a major improvement with his iPhone photos as well once he tried custom settings on a third party app.

I'd love to see more comparisons shots that show both stock and third party apps using white balance control... A single picture leaves us with nothing to compare to ;)

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I don't think this is correct...Totally depends on your tanks lighting temperature.

I recently upgraded to the Nexus 6P which has an unbelievable camera which includes laser autofocus, 240fps video, etc... It's rated very closely to the S6. But this has nothing to do with hardware.

Simply put, its a software thing. I bet your S6 would take even better pictures if you used an app that gave you manual DSLR-like controls of individual settings.

Give it a shot... Nothing to lose.

PSA: People don't need to buy a new phone just to get pictures that aren't blue.

Just to clarify, those were taken under only led lighting, with blues at 100 percent, and whites at 70 percent. The galaxy 6 almost does better than my canon as long as the coral is not too far away.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I have figured out with my iPhone 6. If I click on the app facing away from the tank I get one thing. If the phone is facing the tank when I click on the app I get a better picture.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1455501218.462236.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1455501233.721544.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is something I have figured out with my iPhone 6. If I click on the app facing away from the tank I get one thing. If the phone is facing the tank when I click on the app I get a better picture.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1455501218.462236.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1455501233.721544.jpg

Great tank! Got a build here?

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg what a difference! I can't thank you enough. I've been struggling with not just blue pictures and the sharpness aswell. For some reason my phone just wouldn't focus on the detail of my Zoa's / other corals and even fish for that matter.

Third party app is giving me great results! I spent the Whooping $4 for the full version and couldn't be happier!

Before
IMG_1035.JPG

After
DSC_0098.JPG

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another shot I couldn't get with my stock camera. I'm using a note 4 btw

Magician Poppin babies!
DSC_0062.JPG

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the camera + app also and it makes a big difference. I've already edited all my pictures only have these at the moment.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456279916.854782.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456279941.710323.jpg

After I take the picture I edit it with Snapseed
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456280184.064206.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back