How to tell if candy cane coral is open or closed? And other questions.

QuentinSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this may sound like a stupid question, but how do you tell whether a candy cane coral is opened or closed? Is it when the sweepers are out? And does it mean anything when they open their mouths. Also, do green star polyps spread from touching the glass or rock with their polyps, or from the mat? And my could you guys help me identify what this is? The weird stringy stuff around my spiorbid worms. Thanks.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A closed candy cane sort of retracts inside the skeleton a bit. You would see the "blades" and it would look hard in that case. The picture you posted looks open though maybe not fully open. The mouth can open for a lot of reasons. I would not worry about it generally. It opens to poop, to eat, or to push stuff off the flesh. Open mouths are generally only a sign of stress if they are wide open for an extended period of time.

GSP will spread from the mat generally speaking but if polyps are touching stuff that it can spread to it will grow that way most likely.

Idk what that stringy stuff is but I don't think it's bad. I've seen stuff like that before but never was it in a "help my tank is crashing" thread or anything like that. Usually somebody asks what is that and people say I have no idea and that's the end of the issue.

OP
OP
QuentinSaltwater

QuentinSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A closed candy cane sort of retracts inside the skeleton a bit. You would see the "blades" and it would look hard in that case. The picture you posted looks open though maybe not fully open. The mouth can open for a lot of reasons. I would not worry about it generally. It opens to poop, to eat, or to push stuff off the flesh. Open mouths are generally only a sign of stress if they are wide open for an extended period of time.

GSP will spread from the mat generally speaking but if polyps are touching stuff that it can spread to it will grow that way most likely.

Idk what that stringy stuff is but I don't think it's bad. I've seen stuff like that before but never was it in a "help my tank is crashing" thread or anything like that. Usually somebody asks what is that and people say I have no idea and that's the end of the issue.
Oh that's interesting, thanks for the info

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back