How to tell Jason Fox Bloodshots vs the close ones

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this pop up on here in a vendor thread and figured I would pass along what I had learned when this landed on our local board. We had a local member ask if a picture was a true Bloodshot and no one was really sure. Luckily, about a week later we were all at a frag swap held by DVRC and the man Fox was there himself so we asked, how do you tell a true Bloodshot. The answer is in the line that goes across the face of the zoa. On Fox's paly the line is very defined and easy to see.

This picture shows the line and is from rnegret over on ebay:
$T2eC16d,!w8FIdy!hJupBScBo9S0j!~~60_57.JPG

Here is another picture from a hobbyist on here lps1212 (thanks for the awesome pic Jae)
106195d1384814579-collectors-pack-img_3839.jpg

Notice that black line that goes right acroos the polyp that is in line with the mouth. That is how you can tell.

Lets look at some morphs that are close but no cigar: This first one is the Cornbred Bloodshot
$(KGrHqZHJE8FHiF0QoI6BR-BvqO(c!~~60_3.JPG

Notice the line is not as defined going across the polyp (notice these are called Cornbred's bloodshots which is not the JFox so kudos for him for differentiating)

Here is another very good vendor who has them labeled at bloodshot morphs, but not JFox bloodshots:
$_3.JPG

The line is closer, but again you can see it is not the true line that goes right across, and again kudos to the vendor for saying they are not J Fox.

OP
OP
M

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now a little history on this type of zoa. From what I can tell (and I could be wrong) these are zoas that come out of Puerto Rico or an area around there in the Caribbean . A few years ago these were released alongside zoas like the ARC Tigerlilly (a stunner that I think has been lost as ARC does not have anymore) and a bunch from an old sponsor on here (Can't remember the name) who was based out of Puerto Rico who had names like Pennies from Heaven and another couple really cool morphs. It seems like a bunch more of these zoas have come in recently and I hope so because they all have that metallic type look to them which is awesome.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now a little history on this type of zoa. From what I can tell (and I could be wrong) these are zoas that come out of Puerto Rico or an area around there in the Caribbean . A few years ago these were released alongside zoas like the ARC Tigerlilly (a stunner that I think has been lost as ARC does not have anymore) and a bunch from an old sponsor on here (Can't remember the name) who was based out of Puerto Rico who had names like Pennies from Heaven and another couple really cool morphs. It seems like a bunch more of these zoas have come in recently and I hope so because they all have that metallic type look to them which is awesome.
Efrains coral?

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I heard they were first released as "Watermelons" and JF ended up with the same morph and called them Bloodshots. The similar morphs to bloodshots I know are rainbow pennies and flaming lotus. Those are a type of "lotus eater" morph that are named, which come form puerto rico and the carribeans. That's where I'm guessing the Tiger Lillies came from as well.

Cam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go look at the very first pic from ebay that cornbred has for-sale right now on ebay minimum $200 if you look at the second pic you are actually buying it looks nothing like the cover pic kinda drives me crazy he does that well here are some that are bad a but these are the ones im selling are "supposed" to be the same just not as bad a right this second...

Polyp Addict

Got Polyps?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes beware of the last pic, lots of people are selling them as "bloodshots" when they really arent.

OP
OP
M

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I heard they were first released as "Watermelons" and JF ended up with the same morph and called them Bloodshots. The similar morphs to bloodshots I know are rainbow pennies and flaming lotus. Those are a type of "lotus eater" morph that are named, which come form puerto rico and the carribeans. That's where I'm guessing the Tiger Lillies came from as well.

I was a little hazy on the bloodshot vs watermelon thing. I remember them both but the watermelons disappeared. I figured since Bloodshots became the more popular and hence pricier polyp they went away. I believe it was efrain and all of those morphs bring back some great corals.

cobergas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also something that has not been addressed. Saturation of the pictures. They look different because of the saturation rate on the pictures. Those two pictures. Secondly what makes something real or someone's signature coral or zoa they all come from the same source. These do not magically show up as a morph but usually come from a wild colony. As stated above these are Caribbean zoas so there can be more of the same Bloodshots. Here is a picture under full spectrum without heavy saturation but the same distinct coloration of the zoa are there.

1240572_481211565334220_871332607_n.jpg

cimmorine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these 2 images, to me have the same lines but I guess they're different because of there colors?

Attachments

• bloodshot.JPG
    bloodshot.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 1,162
  • bloodshot2.jpg
    bloodshot2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,242
Last edited:

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is another JF paly called pirates blood that I have had in the past. Very similar to the bloodshot but different as the picture above on the left

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same story I know to believe sold for peanuts as watermelons and than jf bloodshots was born and the rest is history

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have pics of the Knockoffs so I can tell them apart?

The pictures that the OP posted are not showing up anymore.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why he never took great pics of them when he first got them in. But having had some that were passed off through California as real bloodshots (they weren't) versus the real ones, the real ones actually are quite nice. Colors are basic but they glow under any lighting

Back