how to tell mushroom coral is dying?

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys my yuma decided to detach about a week ago and i struggled to get him out of the current, the was one point where he got stuck upside down in a small crevice of my LR so i had to pick him out with my finger. after about 10-15minutes of trying to get him and quarantine him in a container with rubble he was real real angry. i left him in the container for about a week and he didn’t like any piece of rubble so he’s tuck himself in between any gap he found and wouldn’t attach. i put him on this rockshelf i made and seems to finally have attached a little but still remains shriveled up and theres some weird looking brown tissue attached to his side but wont release it. not sure if he needs much more time to re establish or if he’s slowly dying? here are some before and after shots. thanks for any help!

5E3A90C2-7BCD-4859-B8DB-9FFD140A6DFF.jpeg 3A4BBBFB-6131-48E1-9674-A3F23192157F.jpeg 3A657FCF-B153-4ADF-B63C-164170948699.jpeg

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotally speaking, the only mushroom I ever lost went through this same process. It just refused to reattach and eventually shriveled up and died.

I have 4 other mushrooms in the same tank that are doing great. I'm not sure what happened to that guy.

I would be interested if there are any suggestions for future reference.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys my yuma decided to detach about a week ago and i struggled to get him out of the current, the was one point where he got stuck upside down in a small crevice of my LR so i had to pick him out with my finger. after about 10-15minutes of trying to get him and quarantine him in a container with rubble he was real real angry. i left him in the container for about a week and he didn’t like any piece of rubble so he’s tuck himself in between any gap he found and wouldn’t attach. i put him on this rockshelf i made and seems to finally have attached a little but still remains shriveled up and theres some weird looking brown tissue attached to his side but wont release it. not sure if he needs much more time to re establish or if he’s slowly dying? here are some before and after shots. thanks for any help!

5E3A90C2-7BCD-4859-B8DB-9FFD140A6DFF.jpeg 3A4BBBFB-6131-48E1-9674-A3F23192157F.jpeg 3A657FCF-B153-4ADF-B63C-164170948699.jpeg

Hello, could you list your tank parameters please?

I currently have about 20+ mushrooms (mix of ricordeas, yumas, discosoma) and I'm loving the fast growth on the discosomas especially.

1595637670007.png

This tiny ricordea I got from the LPS did not have a frag plug and it took about 2 weeks of trying everything from rock rubble, super gluing, and it's own breeder box to finally get it to attach to a piece of coral skeleton (from a hammer that died from BJD). I put it in the breeder box with low flow in that crevice for about a week before it attached and I could place it onto my frag rack.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, could you list your tank parameters please?

I currently have about 20+ mushrooms (mix of ricordeas, yumas, discosoma) and I'm loving the fast growth on the discosomas especially.

1595637670007.png

This tiny ricordea I got from the LPS did not have a frag plug and it took about 2 weeks of trying everything from rock rubble, super gluing, and it's own breeder box to finally get it to attach to a piece of coral skeleton (from a hammer that died from BJD). I put it in the breeder box with low flow in that crevice for about a week before it attached and I could place it onto my frag rack.
Thanks for he info! Sal 1.026 Cal 370 Alk7.6 Phos .1 Mag 1360 Nitrates 15-20 currently working on getting alk and others up some more. I believe he has attached now but has not opened up and has that weird flesh hanging off his side. should i remove it?

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for he info! Sal 1.026 Cal 370 Alk7.6 Phos .1 Mag 1360 Nitrates 15-20 currently working on getting alk and others up some more. I believe he has attached now but has not opened up and has that weird flesh hanging off his side. should i remove it?

Does it seem like brown jelly and do you have more pics of it? Your parameters look fine but the nitrates are a bit high imo. From my experience, the only thing that could kill a mushroom was brown jelly (I lost a discosoma after some brown jelly from a hammer got onto it and killed that too).

As long as it's not brown jelly, I would leave it alone in a low flow area and do a water change.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it seem like brown jelly and do you have more pics of it? Your parameters look fine but the nitrates are a bit high imo. From my experience, the only thing that could kill a mushroom was brown jelly (I lost a discosoma after some brown jelly from a hammer got onto it and killed that too).

As long as it's not brown jelly, I would leave it alone in a low flow area and do a water change.
Anecdotally speaking, the only mushroom I ever lost went through this same process. It just refused to reattach and eventually shriveled up and died.

I have 4 other mushrooms in the same tank that are doing great. I'm not sure what happened to that guy.

I would be interested if there are any suggestions for future reference.
here are some more pics of it from today if it makes it any better! not sure what those green swiggly lines are though compared to what he looked like fully opened up before in that previous image above!

065F90EF-5EAD-4C10-B028-2143BB469543.jpeg AD920F7B-EF38-40DE-8D7F-692B3FEF1618.jpeg 91571E7D-BDDD-4C3B-A230-385BC7A2F569.jpeg

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are some more pics of it from today if it makes it any better! not sure what those green swiggly lines are though compared to what he looked like fully opened up before in that previous image above!

065F90EF-5EAD-4C10-B028-2143BB469543.jpeg AD920F7B-EF38-40DE-8D7F-692B3FEF1618.jpeg 91571E7D-BDDD-4C3B-A230-385BC7A2F569.jpeg

It's stressed and expelling its mesenterial filaments :( . It's really hard to tell whether it's going out or not because I've heard stories of these filaments attaching elsewhere to a tank and growing a new mushroom.... and on the other hand my mushroom expelled it's filaments when it got brown jelly.

Did you do a water change? I wonder if it's infected/should be dipped.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters dont look bad. I'd get the alk up I'm finding mine like a little higher alk than reccomended.
When stressed shroom will dump there zooxanthellae. You should be able to blow that away with a pipette.
Looks like what your seeing is feeding tentacles now.
Also due to stress.
If you have brown slime you have some kinda bacterial infection for sure.
Did the brown go away?

I'd get it in low flow/light area.
My shrooms only get stressed like that in high flow and light. Or abrupt changes to environment.
Need to allow it to acclimate.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your parameters dont look bad. I'd get the alk up I'm finding mine like a little higher alk than reccomended.
When stressed shroom will dump there zooxanthellae. You should be able to blow that away with a pipette.
Looks like what your seeing is feeding tentacles now.
Also due to stress.
If you have brown slime you have some kinda bacterial infection for sure.
Did the brown go away?

I'd get it in low flow/light area.
My shrooms only get stressed like that in high flow and light. Or abrupt changes to environment.
Need to allow it to acclimate.
just tried to but it didnt blow away, my alk is now at 10 and the brown stuff isnt there anymore. it’s actually on a shelf in a pretty high light area and has attached himself already as opposed to when i had him in low light /: should i still try to move him even if it’d stress him out even more?

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's stressed and expelling its mesenterial filaments :( . It's really hard to tell whether it's going out or not because I've heard stories of these filaments attaching elsewhere to a tank and growing a new mushroom.... and on the other hand my mushroom expelled it's filaments when it got brown jelly.

Did you do a water change? I wonder if it's infected/should be dipped.
yes i did a water change yesterday. do you think he still has a chance at coming back?

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just tried to but it didnt blow away, my alk is now at 10 and the brown stuff isnt there anymore. it’s actually on a shelf in a pretty high light area and has attached himself already as opposed to when i had him in low light /: should i still try to move him even if it’d stress him out even more?

I would not raise alk too quickly, when I changed salts I did at most 0.5 dKH a day in addition to the regular daily alk consumption (~0.3 dKH). My alkalinity is sitting around 8 dKH.

IMO I would still have it in a low light/low flow area for it to recover.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown stuff being gone is good.
Can you still see the filaments? If so Bad.
Yes remove it. Its stressed and shouldn't take much to get it to detach.
Put it in tupperware or glass with rubble in low light low flow area and let it relax and acclimate.
To much light too fast I'm sure.
It will let you know where it like to be.
Too little light it will stretch like a flower in the sun.
Enough light it will lay flat and bask in it.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not raise alk too quickly, when I changed salts I did at most 0.5 dKH a day in addition to the regular daily alk consumption (~0.3 dKH). My alkalinity is sitting around 8 dKH.

Good catch. Definitely dont want to raise or lower anything too much.
Patience is key.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The brown stuff being gone is good.
Can you still see the filaments? If so Bad.
Yes remove it. Its stressed and shouldn't take much to get it to detach.
Put it in tupperware or glass with rubble in low light low flow area and let it relax and acclimate.
To much light too fast I'm sure.
It will let you know where it like to be.
Too little light it will stretch like a flower in the sun.
Enough light it will lay flat and bask in it.
thanks a lot really appreciate the info everyone. i have successfully relocated him back to the sand bed inside a container but since he didnt want to attach to any rubble last time i tried it, i am using the top flat surface of a frag plug and surrounded him with rubble! those parameters were actually from the 18th so since they were all so “low” they suggested i dose an all in one supplement type of thing so i did every other day. just went back and tested today after that week of dosing actually my calcium is at 440 now and dkh sitting at 10! wont be doing anything anymore though to let things unfold on their own.

last questions: will the mushroom attach in the container no matter what? if it’s been, lets say a month, and it hasn’t attached does that mean i have to relocate it/offer different rubble and restress it?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks a lot really appreciate the info everyone. i have successfully relocated him back to the sand bed inside a container but since he didnt want to attach to any rubble last time i tried it, i am using the top flat surface of a frag plug and surrounded him with rubble! those parameters were actually from the 18th so since they were all so “low” they suggested i dose an all in one supplement type of thing so i did every other day. just went back and tested today after that week of dosing actually my calcium is at 440 now and dkh sitting at 10! wont be doing anything anymore though to let things unfold on their own.

last questions: will the mushroom attach in the container no matter what? if it’s been, lets say a month, and it hasn’t attached does that mean i have to relocate it/offer different rubble and restress it?
It should attach in a week or 2. Give it time. When you see its acclimating well you can slowly move it out of shadows to help it re attach.
You have a little road ahead of you.
That shroom was stressed pretty good.
Plus you changed quite a bit. Let things settle and let it acclimate now.

Good thing is it's a shroom. With a little patience it should bounce back for you.

My hardest thing in reefing is just leaving well enough things alone.
And having patience to allow nature to do its thing!

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From my experience, as long as the mushroom does not float away or flip itself, it will attach (the one I have loved to flip itself :rolleyes: ) but after a week or so attached. Pretty sure it'll attach to the frag plug or a piece of rubble tho.

If they were like my other softies (especially my xenias and kenya trees) they will attach to literally anything... glass, rock rubble, my clam :rolleyes:, anything they can stick to... Hope your mushroom turns around!

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an og melt on me after a year. Started to shrivel up and eventually just melted. Nothing changed in my tank besides a salt change and when I did that, it looked better for a week, then melted. Other corals including acros were fine. No drastic change in dkh either.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should attach in a week or 2. Give it time. When you see its acclimating well you can slowly move it out of shadows to help it re attach.
You have a little road ahead of you.
That shroom was stressed pretty good.
Plus you changed quite a bit. Let things settle and let it acclimate now.

Good thing is it's a shroom. With a little patience it should bounce back for you.

My hardest thing in reefing is just leaving well enough things alone.
And having patience to allow nature to do its thing!
u got it! thank you for the tips.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, as long as the mushroom does not float away or flip itself, it will attach (the one I have loved to flip itself :rolleyes: ) but after a week or so attached. Pretty sure it'll attach to the frag plug or a piece of rubble tho.

If they were like my other softies (especially my xenias and kenya trees) they will attach to literally anything... glass, rock rubble, my clam :rolleyes:, anything they can stick to... Hope your mushroom turns around!
hahaha clam?!! that’s awesome. yes it has flipped itself during the first time am i not supposed to flip it back to its foot?or did you just let yours fool around without touching it? me too, appreciate it!

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha clam?!! that’s awesome. yes it has flipped itself during the first time am i not supposed to flip it back to its foot?or did you just let yours fool around without touching it? me too, appreciate it!

Yes, mine does somersaults and always lands on its face :rolleyes: . But that was half a year ago! He's attached and going nowhere now! ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back