How To Top Off Water Without Killing Chateo?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 75 gallon with a relatively small sump and has a refugium in it. I don't think it would be wise to top off the tank with rodi water daily in the sump as the salinity would go all over the place in a short amount of time which would stress the chaeto. Trying to get an ATO but currently can't. Any other options I have?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 75 gallon with a relatively small sump and has a refugium in it. I don't think it would be wise to top off the tank with rodi water daily in the sump as the salinity would go all over the place in a short amount of time which would stress the chaeto. Trying to get an ATO but currently can't. Any other options I have?
Put the water in the return chamber. A gallon or two of water coming in through the return to your display isn’t going to hurt or stress anything out. Wild shallow reefs go through pretty big salinity changes during storms/rain (which in the tropics is pretty much daily), and in protected in-shore reefs they have to contend with run-off from the shore, too. A couple gallons daily or every other day shouldn’t hurt anything (I agree that putting it all in the sump where water flow is low and the volume of water is much less would be more stressful than adding directly to the return/display). You can make a gravity fed DiY ATO for around $10. Just get a float valve and make sure the reservoir is either above the sump or if it’s parallel, that the reservoir is deep enough that the water pressure will force water into the sump (use a five gallon bucket as the reservoir and put the outgoing water hose on the side at the bottom). You’ll need the float valve, some tubing that fits the float valve, a bulkhead that fits the tubing, a 5g bucket, and a drill, $10-$20 tops, and probably safer and more reliable than an electronic ATO. Use two float valves if you want some extra security.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think the chaeto will mind. Heck, I've absent-mindedly poured topoff water almost directly onto corals, and they don't seem to mind it any more than they mind having regular water poured on them. As long as it's circulated away reasonably quickly, it's fine.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll add it slowly to the return pump area which isn't a real chamber, it's just a divided area right next to the chaeto

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back