How to train a naso to eat

westlife29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic will focus on how to train naso tang to eat ( new fish in QT tank)
In my experience, in order for a new fish to start eating. It has to feel like stress free.
However, not many new fish are enjoy your new tank.
That why we call new fish. :D
Well I will not go to how you make your fish stress free and how to keep an Naso tang. I will post another post.
Here is how I train a Naso tang to eat.
- Sea weed ( nori )
- A already eating fish
- live brine shrimp or mysis
- premade food.
How do start:
- Dont put in Nori( sea Weed ) right away. let your fish relax and hand of your QT tank.
- after 1 or 2 dayin your QT tang, Start with live brine shrimp or mysis , if you are lucky, it will take it right away.
- A trigger fish ( a fish who is eating with no issue ) it could be smaller tang or damsel. I refer tang.
- After that you can put seaweed on, What I learn about seaweed. A new fish will barely go for seaweed clip. So you can try to attach it to a rock or floor.
- The second way of seaweed is cut your seaweed small enough so that naso will eat it in 1 bite. then soap that seaweed in water so that it is easy to chew. Then try it.
- If they go for nori, You finished 1/3 of the training.
- From now on, if you want to train it to eat other food beside nori, you need to mix that nori in other food. In my case, I mixed the cut nori to my premade food which contains pellets and all stuffs.
- Experience from fishing that fish will eat by smell, once they start eating that combination then there is high chance they will eat pellets.
- Last option: Recommend not use it unless you know what you are doing.
** the Naso need some bullies not like let other fish kill him/her. just some thing to show that you better eat so that you can fight.
This case happens to me twice. My naso eats only seaweed and it starts to eat pellets after I put her into the tank with big purple and huge sailfin tang.
Hope it helps.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Most marine feed by curiosity and not smell. Seeing others eat is an enticed and often by taste.
a large sheet of nori fared better as small ones are quickly consumed by tank mates.
They are herbivores and require at minimum:
Nori basted with garlic
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Hikari mega veggie
Add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods for stamina and immunity health

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blonde naso is not eating. It is in a QT with a long nose butterfly (eats like a pig), tomini (half the size of naso) and a fathead anthia (docile). I've tried frozen mysis, brine, blood worms & baby brine. also tried green seaweed on a clip. made him a big cave where I likes to sit with face out of the cave. swims out in the open once food is introduced in the tank but never tried to take a bite. no heavy breathing. doesn't dart into his cave after seeing me. but not eating. it's been 4 days now since I got him. I am worried.
my anthia was shipped inter state and was swimming head down vertically for first 2 days. got him to eat in 2 days. naso has been the hardest for me so far.
i am thinking of filling a small container with saltwater + a lot of food and some rocks. put it in sun or under plant grow light to get some algae grow on the rocks. maybe natural algae will entice him.
edit- i've tried adding fish V(aquaforest), garlic guard & entice(seachem) as well.

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic will focus on how to train naso tang to eat ( new fish in QT tank)
In my experience, in order for a new fish to start eating. It has to feel like stress free.
However, not many new fish are enjoy your new tank.
That why we call new fish. :D
Well I will not go to how you make your fish stress free and how to keep an Naso tang. I will post another post.
Here is how I train a Naso tang to eat.
- Sea weed ( nori )
- A already eating fish
- live brine shrimp or mysis
- premade food.
How do start:
- Dont put in Nori( sea Weed ) right away. let your fish relax and hand of your QT tank.
- after 1 or 2 dayin your QT tang, Start with live brine shrimp or mysis , if you are lucky, it will take it right away.
- A trigger fish ( a fish who is eating with no issue ) it could be smaller tang or damsel. I refer tang.
- After that you can put seaweed on, What I learn about seaweed. A new fish will barely go for seaweed clip. So you can try to attach it to a rock or floor.
- The second way of seaweed is cut your seaweed small enough so that naso will eat it in 1 bite. then soap that seaweed in water so that it is easy to chew. Then try it.
- If they go for nori, You finished 1/3 of the training.
- From now on, if you want to train it to eat other food beside nori, you need to mix that nori in other food. In my case, I mixed the cut nori to my premade food which contains pellets and all stuffs.
- Experience from fishing that fish will eat by smell, once they start eating that combination then there is high chance they will eat pellets.
- Last option: Recommend not use it unless you know what you are doing.
** the Naso need some bullies not like let other fish kill him/her. just some thing to show that you better eat so that you can fight.
This case happens to me twice. My naso eats only seaweed and it starts to eat pellets after I put her into the tank with big purple and huge sailfin tang.
Hope it helps.
Stray DC electro therapy...

Back