How to Train a Pod Eater to Eat Frozen (Mandarin, Ruby Red Dragonet, Greissenger Goby)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've actually seen threads where people say they've successfully trained mandarins and Ruby Red Dragonets to eat frozen foods in place or at least in addition to copepods. Since my new Greissenger Goby is primarily a pod eater I'd like to try to train him. So if you or someone you know has been successful with this, what were their methods and how long did it take?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've actually seen threads where people say they've successfully trained mandarins and Ruby Red Dragonets to eat frozen foods in place or at least in addition to copepods. Since my new Greissenger Goby is primarily a pod eater I'd like to try to train him. So if you or someone you know has been successful with this, what were their methods and how long did it take?

mandarins are easy if you have good roe. They generally take to it quickly if not immediately and from there you can mix in other foods which they eventually take.

And no I don’t mean that crap roe in the blister packs.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mandarins are easy if you have good roe. They generally take to it quickly if not immediately and from there you can mix in other foods which they eventually take.

And no I don’t mean that crap roe in the blister packs.
Any brands you recommend? I just got some frozen copepods since I figured that would be most similar but probably not very high quality...we don't have a huge selection in the feeding category here

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any brands you recommend? I just got some frozen copepods since I figured that would be most similar but probably not very high quality...we don't have a huge selection in the feeding category here

uhhh the one I would recommend isn't sold there. LRS has one but hard to find.

Maybe you can find fresh fish roe at the seafood market?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I probably can...what separates the good ones from the bad ones? Just freshness?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Btw, I have some hitchhiker crabs in the tank which I've never removed since they've never presented a problem before and also helped build a strong CUC but should I try to remove as many as possible before adding the Goby? Like I said, they're a good part of my CUC so I only want to remove them if they'd be expected to threaten my Goby due to his size.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that ate frozen foods out of a small jar that I laid on its side. I just gently squirted a little food into the jar and he would swim in and eat. After a while he would wait for me in the jar when I fed the tank.
How big was the jar??

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably can...what separates the good ones from the bad ones? Just freshness?

yes, you are looking for something like this, not the jars at the grocery.

1664632401887.png

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I have never kept a flaming prawn so I can't say how it will respond to roe, just that mandarins typically love it.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I was going to use this Red Sea test vial as a feeding jar to try to train my Greissenger Goby to eat frozen food out of as we discussed above so I can see him more often. I just got him yesterday and he's in an observational QT right now. My question for you is this: I have used this vial in the past for Red Sea calcium and/or magnesium tests and although I always washed it out with tap water after the test, there was a little opaqueness to the glass leading me to believe that there could be traces of chemicals left over. I was only able to put my little finger in the glass to scrub the inside and now I just put some activated carbon in it with RODI water to absorb any chemicals which may still be present. Is this adequate enough for removing traces of the chemicals present in the test kits? I plan to leave it with the carbon and water in it overnight and then rinse it with RODI water right before putting it in the 5 gallon QT with the Goby and squirting some food into it for him to eat. I would hate to poison my Goby in the QT...
16646343941458513665039643375428.jpg

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I was going to use this Red Sea test vial as a feeding jar to try to train my Greissenger Goby to eat frozen food out of as we discussed above so I can see him more often. I just got him yesterday and he's in an observational QT right now. My question for you is this: I have used this vial in the past for Red Sea calcium and/or magnesium tests and although I always washed it out with tap water after the test, there was a little opaqueness to the glass leading me to believe that there could be traces of chemicals left over. I was only able to put my little finger in the glass to scrub the inside and now I just put some activated carbon in it with RODI water to absorb any chemicals which may still be present. Is this adequate enough for removing traces of the chemicals present in the test kits? I plan to leave it with the carbon and water in it overnight and then rinse it with RODI water right before putting it in the 5 gallon QT with the Goby and squirting some food into it for him to eat. I would hate to poison my Goby in the QT...
You could use qtips and rubbing alcohol from pharmacy to clean the inside walls of the vials if you think there’s residual testing reagent, then just let air dry.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use qtips and rubbing alcohol from pharmacy to clean the inside walls of the vials if you think there’s residual testing reagent, then just let air dry.
Good idea because alcohol is a good solvent! I have other little jars but these look perfect considering the DT I'd be leaving it in would be a 10 gallon so I really like the small size that would allow the Goby to enter but take up minimal space

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley do you think I need to use the alcohol to clean the vial of any possible residual chemicals or should a scrubbing and filling it with RODI water to soak with some activated carbon in the bottom of the vial be sufficient. Are the trace amounts of chemicals that would be realistically present even a realistic concern?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, quick question...since I'm feeding frozen foods that aren't being eaten should I get an ammonia detoxifier like Prime or Amguard? Which is better?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that ate frozen foods out of a small jar that I laid on its side. I just gently squirted a little food into the jar and he would swim in and eat. After a while he would wait for me in the jar when I fed the tank.
Did you start doing this in a QT tank or when he was already in the DT?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back