How to transfer water during a water change?

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you all transferring water into the tank for water changes?
Getting my water out I just use a vacuum pump into 5 gallon jugs. But getting water from my 5 gallon jugs back into the tank gently is very hard because I have to either just pour it into the tank making a mess with all the water just being dropped into the tank. Are you all using a electric pump to transfer or something?

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pump mine from the mixing station now, but before that, I kept a Sicce 1.0 with a hose attached to it. I would set the pump in a 5g bucket of new water and pump it back to the display.

j.Zero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm new to the hobby so I have yet to do a water change but yes, I will use an extra pump.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make 25 gallons of water in a 32 gallon Brute and use a MAG 9.5 pump that has rigid PVC up and out of the Brute, and then a short length of hose.

1620739477124.png

I've also added an elbow and short length of pipe at the MAG intake to get that last drop of water out of the Brute.

1620739616071.png

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I store NSW in a 220L drum and have it on wheels to just wheel inside n3xt to the tank, then drop in a pump to pump water back into the tank.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I can dump the water from the jugs into a 5 gallon bucket and pump from there. The opening to the jugs is too small to place a pump into. I dont make my own water I pick it up from the local pet store in my jugs.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I can dump the water from the jugs into a 5 gallon bucket and pump from there. The opening to the jugs is too small to place a pump into. I dont make my own water I pick it up from the local pet store in my jugs.
That's exactly what I did. A bit of a pain, but it works. I would definitely invest in an RODI unit and some salt mix. I found that the consistency of LFS water was subject to the amount of care the hourly worker had. I would rather trust myself with the health and wellbeing of my reef!

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an RODI and save yourself some money and aggravation.
Any recommendations? I dont have a ton of space to keep huge buckets and tanks sitting around with water in them.
Thats why I just grab the little jugs. Do a change then I tuck them away. I dont have an area in the house that I can mount a RODI setup to the wall and fill massive barrels with RODI water.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you all transferring water into the tank for water changes?
Getting my water out I just use a vacuum pump into 5 gallon jugs. But getting water from my 5 gallon jugs back into the tank gently is very hard because I have to either just pour it into the tank making a mess with all the water just being dropped into the tank. Are you all using a electric pump to transfer or something?
So I don't really do water changes anymore, but back when I did, I just dumped it in a specific corner of a tank every time. I call it the 'sacrificial' corner where I am ready to accept sand being churned up and all that. XD

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Floyd- it sounds like you’re very space constrained. When you’re removing water why is it going into jugs? Not sure if you can but for removing water can you use the pump drain directly to a sink or something? For filling the tank can you use a 5G bucket or 8G Brute that you can place a pump into (perhaps the same one you’re using to remove water) and then simply dump your jugs into the bucket or Brute?

cmmatxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a sicce 1.0 to pump water from my mixing bucket and have it plugged into a Homekit smart plug so i can turn off/on the pump from my phone

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations? I dont have a ton of space to keep huge buckets and tanks sitting around with water in them.
Thats why I just grab the little jugs. Do a change then I tuck them away. I dont have an area in the house that I can mount a RODI setup to the wall and fill massive barrels with RODI water.
I plumbed mine under the kitchen sink.was most logical place for it to be .i live in small 2 bedroom flat.so not alot room.i have a largish cupboard near front door and it has no cold water mains here so instead running copper pipes to cupbaord,under sink made more sense as got cold main and waste here.and just fill up 1x 25 litre container at a time.then in cupboard mix the salt in a bucket.
A brute rubbish bin doesnt take that much room up and you can buy wheels for it to wheel into infront your tank.could even build your own wheels with some plywood and take the wheels/ brackets off a scateboard if money is a issue or buy some wheels etc.
And aslong as saltwater mixing container is on same floor can have it anywhere where got plug socket for mixing pump and heater if want or can run an extension lead.or even if could mix salt on next floor up and run a hose down through the ceiling and syphon using gravity. ( just pull up a floor board and poke little hole in corner of ceiling above tank and clip hose into wall then use some conduit to box it in,provided can mix salt water on floor above tank) but point is a mixing rubbish bin or bucket doesnt take that much room really.

Screenshot_20210516-005917_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210516-005957_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210516-010015_Gallery.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lift the 5 gallon up and dump it in. I try and torture my GSP as much as possible during changes. Also helps keep everything detritus free.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back