how to transport seahorse to vet - size of bag

dee_es

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I couldn't find this info despite a search of the forums so am hoping it wasn't already asked and answered elsewhere.
What type of bag would you use to transport a seahorse to the vet, please?
Do you get different sizes?
Thanks heaps
Dee in Aus

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi large enough to put" cup" that you scoop out with in,kinda depends on size of horse,do not want to expose to air.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I couldn't find this info despite a search of the forums so am hoping it wasn't already asked and answered elsewhere.
What type of bag would you use to transport a seahorse to the vet, please?
Do you get different sizes?
Thanks heaps
Dee in Aus
It depends on the transport time. In this case, inclusive of the time there and back, plus the time at the vets. I always pack fish in oxygen if the transport will be longer than an hour. What about using a small plastic critter tank and a battery powered air pump? As long as the water doesn’t slosh out, that is good for 24 hours. You could also have a seahorse hitching post in there, making it feel more secure.
Does your vet have experience with seahorses?

Jay

OP
OP
dee_es

dee_es

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the transport time. In this case, inclusive of the time there and back, plus the time at the vets. I always pack fish in oxygen if the transport will be longer than an hour. What about using a small plastic critter tank and a battery powered air pump? As long as the water doesn’t slosh out, that is good for 24 hours. You could also have a seahorse hitching post in there, making it feel more secure.
Does your vet have experience with seahorses?

Jay
Thanks Jay.
I didn't even want to buy our seahorses until we had an exotics vet who worked with seahorses :)! We now have made contact with one and have the details of another.
I like your idea of a tank with air pump and hitching post.
We receive our 4 h.reidi Wednesday morning! Can't wait!
Thanks again for your replies, fishguy242 and Jay Hemdal.

Back