How to treat flukes and popeye?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a ruby longfin fairy wrasse that I had for more than a month now. Today, I noticed popeye only on one eye of the fish and did a freshwater dip. A ton of flukes came off.

I have a juvenile yellow-coris wrasse and a chalk bass in the tank. No flukes came off from either of them. They do not show any symptoms other than occasional yawning. All 3 of them are in a QT tank now. My questions are as follows:

1. Should I treat all 3 fish or only the affected fish?
  2. Is Prazipro the best medication? Should I treat with antibiotics as well?
  3. If yes to antibiotics, is API erythromycin good enough? Should I do Praziplus first or the antibiotics first? Should I treat with both medicines together?
  4. The chalk bass is really stressed after the freshwater dip. What can I do to make the fish feel better?
Below are some pics of the ruby longfin fairy wrasse. I can almost see something white in its eye.

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Should I treat all 3 fish or only the affected fish?
    All fish should be treated

2. Is Prazipro the best medication? Should I treat with antibiotics as well?
    Praziquantel is your best bet for flukes. Wrasses are quite sensitive to Prazi so be sure to monitor closely. It is best not to mix other medications with Praziquantel. Antibiotics may be used separately if the eye infection progresses.

3. If yes to antibiotics, is API erythromycin good enough?
    Should I do Praziplus first or the antibiotics first? Should I treat with both medicines together?
    Erythromycin is the top choice for treating eye infections.

4. The chalk bass is really stressed after the freshwater dip. What can I do to make the fish feel better? Continue feeding if the fish is eating. Provide shelter with PVC fittings.

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Going ahead with that plan. Treating with Prazipro and keeping an eye on the fish to see how the infection progresses.

All three fish have settled down in a bit the QT. The yellow-coris wrasse is hiding in the small heap of sand I have in there. I will add PVC for the other two fish in a few hours.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bear in mind that if you could easily see the flukes in the dip (and if they sorta looked like fish scales) you're dealing with a capsaid fluke (Neobenedenia) and prazipro typically has difficulty clearing that. The reason is that they produce sticky eggs that are resistant to all meds and they eggs can take up to 30 days to hatch, so long after the prazi has dissipated, they hatch out and reinfect the tank. Hyposalinity in a QT will take care of Neo....

Jay

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sad news. The affected fish did not survive.

I am going to set salinity to 15ppm and treat with Prazipro for 7 days. Does that plan sound safe?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news. The affected fish did not survive.

I am going to set salinity to 15ppm and treat with Prazipro for 7 days. Does that plan sound safe?
Yes, that’s a good plan. About the wrasse; what can happen is this - with a bad infection, think of the flukes as hundreds of little corks. When they drop off, all these tiny holes open up in the fish’s skin, and they literally bleed out. I’ve experimented with doing quicker dips, a few days apart, to try and gradually remove the flukes instead of all at once....most wistful thinking as it is easier said than done.
Jay

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes, that’s a good plan. About the wrasse; what can happen is this - with a bad infection, think of the flukes as hundreds of little corks. When they drop off, all these tiny holes open up in the fish’s skin, and they literally bleed out. I’ve experimented with doing quicker dips, a few days apart, to try and gradually remove the flukes instead of all at once....most wistful thinking as it is easier said than done.
Jay
Should I treat the display tank as well? All I have in there is a blue legged hermit crab. Will flukes live on the sand or the rock and reinfect my fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wait At least 35 days with no fish (40 days is better) the eggs will be forced to hatch with no host.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back